Turbo help

Whit

Reaction score
OK fellas, I am wanting to upgrade a bit and looking for oppinions, I have a PDR HX 35 with a 14cm2 housing, see my sig for all the goodies. My sole intent of this truck is for towing and of course daily driver so twins arent in the picture. I would really like to know flows on all the turbos out there so I could compare. I am wastegated at 32 psi currently. My problem is that when towing heavy (24k-32k) GVW and on 6% grades I have to back out to maintain EGT's around 1250 max preturbo. I would like to use power available if possible. I am guessing that I need like 15% more air. OH and I recently dynoed at 375 hp and 940 tq. Would like to see 400 and 1000

Opinnions needed please

94matt

Reaction score
Just my uneducated opinion, I would look at stepping up in injector and tow on a lower setting on the comp (If not off). That is assuming you're having egt trouble towing with the comp turned up. The wire tap boxes do not give tow friendly power.

Matt

Whit

Reaction score
Good sugestion Matt, I tow on 2x2 and like everything it does for me except EGT's, If I try the comp in the off position I aint got near nuff power with the big loads. With my 275 injectors it does well for my milage when use as daily driver so I would like to stay there. I am just thinkin at this time that if I could get a bit more air the truck will be right where I need it.

Cheers, Kevin

94matt

Reaction score
I have another "outside the box" suggestion. Have you giving any thought to a cam? Most of the cams available help lower egt's, and also help improve mileage, sort of a win win situation.

The reason I can't suggest a turbo, is I don't know much about the turbo's in that size. I would think the turbo you have should be capable of what you want.

Matt

Whit

Reaction score
Yes the HX 35 unit should do the job but I tow some very heavy loads and at 8-10k elevation so that adds to the problem. I need to look into the cam deal a bit more.

I would really like to see a darn chart that shows flows of turbos out there so one dont have to guess. :confused:

haz-mat19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could you maybe turn the fuel down to 2x1 to not give as much fuel, this could help with the EGT, and you would not lose as much power. Just a thought. See ya :popcorn

Iron Horse

Reaction score
Whitmore-

I would suggest a Switzer S300G turbo. Will bolt right up to stock location with a HX40 downpipe. The turbo should support up to 450 hp at your elevation. PM me if you want a part number for the correct turbo.

94matt

Reaction score
My uneducated guess is that a S300 is to big and will result in bad towing temps.

Kevin,, we promise to stop by on the next trip through and shoot the bull. Saw your light on last Thursday, but it was almost 11 and I was getting tired fast had to make it to Worland before I fell asleep. I don't want to say Hi as you're cutting me from my truck in the river :eek:

TPCDrafting

Structural Steel
Reaction score
Kev, I've searched quite a bit for this elusive chart and never found anything other than everyone's opinion.
We're close in power, but I don't expect to pull quite as heavy as you with reasonable temps. Look at HTT's lineup especially the HTTB2.
I'd also look heavily at the B1, KSB1, etc. - these you can get from Piers. Richard has one of these B1's, he's tried several including hx-40's, hx-55's and others and he likes that B1 much better than the others. He used to tow his big 5'er anywhere and at whatever speed he wanted at 350-400 hp. (valet switch turned on - with it off it's just over 500).

Iron Horse

Reaction score
94matt said:
My uneducated guess is that a S300 is to big and will result in bad towing temps.

The part number I am suggesting uses a wastegated 14cm housing, and has a compressor wheel very similar to a B1 or HTT 62. It is not too big.

Whit

Reaction score
I have done just a touch of research on it and the B1 and B2 kinna cought my eye as to what I need, I thought the B1 and B2 were from a Schwitzer base???? Iornhorse know anything bout that? One other thing kinna botherin me is the fact that my Jacobs brake will have to go and then find a new 4" to replace it so as I am lookin at this I will need a new turbo, ofcourse a 3 piece manifold just to do it right and also an exhaust brake.....................so its gettin up there pretty quick$$$

TPCDrafting

Structural Steel
Reaction score
The B1-EX3 has an HX-35 outlet, But that must hinder performance in reducing temps. The manifold will help temps a bunch too. I'm in the same dilema of going all out gets too $$.
From the few that have posted on using Piers' towing twins, they are fairly driveable, but like ya said that opens another can of worms with head gasket/studs upgrade.

dazedandconfused

Reaction score
Teh best all around charger I have seen for the 500hp and below range is the HTT line! The HTT66Sledpuller is a great charger and they also have a 64 and 64 compressor housing option! Check them out! ROughly around $1600!

Andy

Whit

Reaction score
Iron Horse said:
The part number I am suggesting uses a wastegated 14cm housing, and has a compressor wheel very similar to a B1 or HTT 62. It is not too big.

I already have a wastegated 14cm housing so will this bolt up and save me some money there???