truck wont warm up?

hawaiian808

Whiplash FTW
Reaction score
hey hows it going?

ok so im still learning about this truck and the rats nest that is under the hood. but the truck smoke quite a bit when she starts and is cold, nothing to unsual i hope. but when i am finally moving and she warms up a bit it stop's smoking. but the truck will never get up to temp? i dont have my manual yet so i have no idea if the truck has a temp sensor or not but even at highway speeds in 4th she stay under the half way mark and my egt is floating around 5-6. and zero boost. not to much of a problem till winter hits if you know what i mean. lol i cant imagine the nightmare when it gets near -15/20 when winter hits and it wont ever come up to temp.

so any ideas? thanks

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
do you have a aftermarket temp gauge? if not, dont worry. lol the factory gauges SUCK!. what exactally is normal? lol

as for the pyro and boost numbers, is that just cruising? or WOT? if you are just cruising the temps seem about right, same with boost. mine just cruising on the highway is around 500*pyro and 1-2 lbs boost. when i stop on it to pass someone temps will go up to 1000* and 7 lbs boost.

hawaiian808

Whiplash FTW
Reaction score
do you have a aftermarket temp gauge? if not, dont worry. lol the factory gauges SUCK!. what exactally is normal? lol

as for the pyro and boost numbers, is that just cruising? or WOT? if you are just cruising the temps seem about right, same with boost. mine just cruising on the highway is around 500*pyro and 1-2 lbs boost. when i stop on it to pass someone temps will go up to 1000* and 7 lbs boost.

Stock gauges for the temp lol. and the 600 ish is at crusing and ive seen it climb to 1000 quick at wot. My truck was N/A then he threw a banks on it and i honestly dont know how accurate the boost gauge is. its brand new so i assume im runn 0-1lb at crusing speed and i seen it get up to 10 WOT.

the more questions i ask the better of a deal i got on this truck lol. cant wait to get the manual so i know wth is stock and whats not under the hood cuz i have lines everywere and steel braded lines going to and from haha. thanks again!

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
yep, them are normal for the pyro and boost.

get a good set of aftermarket gauges for temp and oil pressure. that way you know what the motor is doing instead of it being "Normal"

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I second what Corey has said. The stock gauges are not helpful at all really. It'd get a water temp gauge, oil pressure, gauge, voltmeter, and fuel pressure gauge, but that's just my preference.;Sweet

Heath

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How is the temp coming out of the heat ducts when the heater is on and blowing.If it gets really warm it's probably ok. If it is coming out cool then it might be the thermostat stuck open. One thing you can do is take the radiator cap off when the engine is cold. Start the truck and look to see how fast the coolant is circulating. If it is circulating a lot with the engine cold then your thermostat should be replaced.

If it turns out to be the thermostat then get an OEM thermostat only from Ford or International..

gatorman21218

Reaction score
Sounds like a stuck open thermostat. Ive had that happen before. In the middle of december on my way down to florida. I was half way through north carolina before I got any heat in my cab

hawaiian808

Whiplash FTW
Reaction score
yah my heater stay cooler
i had a hunch it may have been a stuck thermostat but i wasnt shure thanks again !
a lot more questions to come!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bob123456789