Truck won't start - need some help

Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How do you test glow plugs? I want to check mine to see if any have failed as a result of all these hard to start issues.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How do you test glow plugs? I want to check mine to see if any have failed as a result of all these hard to start issues.

You need a multimeter to test Ohms ....
  1. take wires off of glow plugs
  2. hook one probe to the top of the glow plug where the wire harness connects
  3. hook the other probe to a good ground.
  4. read the ohm measurement
any plug with a reading over 2 ohms is bad.....a burnt out plug usually wont give any reading.

While you do probably have an issue with the glow plugs I still strongly feel you have a fuel system issue if it's not even attempting to fire.

Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tonkadoctor, you're right, there is a fuel problem. I cracked two of my injectors and no fuel comes out when I crank it. I do get fuel out of my air bleeder valve. I opened it into a sealed bottle to check for air. Got plenty of fuel there, but not from the injector lines. The IP and injectors are only 4-5 months old. What should I try next?

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, you need to start the truck to get to work in the morning. Plug in the block heater overnight and it will start right up without glow plugs. Check that block after about 1/2 hour to make sure that the heater is working. You will feel the heat.

As for starting the truck after work, a "small" spray of starting fluid will light things right up. A "large" spray will make your motor very unhappy.

Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm sure this is a stupid question, but the block heater and batteries are independent of each other, right? I need to take both batteries out and get them charged. Drained them both trying everything else today.

Still can't figure out why I'm not getting fuel. Everything was fine yesterday.

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is the schrader valve on these trucks before the fuel filter flow or after?. If it is before then I would replace the fuel filter. You might want to pull it anyway to make sure it is full with fuel.

If your not getting any white smoke while cranking and you said your not getting any fuel to the injectors then it doesnt matter how warm the block will be when plugging in the block heater it will not start with a fuel problem.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent

Members online