Truck still wanders while driving

stumiister

Diesel Truck Tech
Reaction score
I replaced the tie rod ends from one wheel to the other, replaced the steering coupler.
What can I do to reduce the slop in the steerin the only thing left to adjust or replce is the steering gear.
Any comments will help thanks.

Wyreth

Certifiable Noob
Reaction score
You can try adjusting the gear lash on the steering box, but be very very careful not to over tighten it. Also look at the rag joint on the shaft.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Replace the I-beam pivot bushings and radius-arm bushings.

Install ALL NEW wheel-bearings/races, inside and out.

Install a BIG and even better DUAL steering stabilizer.

Replace the steering shaft with one from Flaming River or Borgeson.

Install Centramatics.

Replace the tires with USA-made BIAS tires and you will be amazed.

Inflate the right-front tire 8-PSI more than the left.

All of the above mentioned items need to be addressed, as your problem is most likely an accumulated combination of little problems.

Once you get all of these situations addressed, order yourself a steering-gear-box from NOWHERE ELSE BUT Red-Head Steering Gear and all your problems will magically disappear.

stumiister

Diesel Truck Tech
Reaction score
I know the king pins are worn out but that will not cause it to wander that will cause the truck to shake at certain speeds and uneven tire wear.
Hot sure what effect the radius arm bushings have to do with the alignment or the truck wandering while driving I will try to find information about it.
I replaced the rag joint at the bottom of the steering shaft last night which elminated alot of the wandering I did have.
I will try and adjust the steering gear lash and see what happens.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know the king pins are worn out but that will not cause it to wander that will cause the truck to shake at certain speeds and uneven tire wear.
Hot sure what effect the radius arm bushings have to do with the alignment or the truck wandering while driving I will try to find information about it.
I replaced the rag joint at the bottom of the steering shaft last night which elminated alot of the wandering I did have.
I will try and adjust the steering gear lash and see what happens.

King pins have a lot to deal with it....especially if worn

WORN Radius arm bushings can cause the axle to move forward and backward a slight amount / squirm while traveling over road irregularities thus causing wandering...so can the I beam bushings...and a combination of them is just asking for problems.

You on a 2wd vehicle should not need a stabilizer at all...let alone a twin....all those are for is dampening out an impact to the system...from a large bump etc....they are not a brake that slows the response down of steering....

If your wheel bearings are in good operating condition and well cared for and show now signs of distress, replacement is NOT needed....just make sure properly packed, torqued to spec, and your golden...

Are you doing all this work yourself?

Do you have a helper one whom could turn the wheel back and forth whilst you investigate all aspects of your steering system?

If so, then a thourough inspection whilst they go back and forth a little...just the play portion is needed...

Did you check the steering shaft for slop when you replaced the rag joint coupler? There is a plastic bushing in the collapsible shaft that needs to be there with a small flat bar spring opposite to the plastic bushing...this keeps that shaft tight within the outer portion. If it's missing/worn, you'll have a substantial amount of play in the steering.

Start at the steering wheel...then to the next joint where it connects to steering shaft...then steering shaft then rag joint n so on...eliminating each part in the system through inspection!

JM2CW

Al

stumiister

Diesel Truck Tech
Reaction score
Yes Im doing the work myself, the plastic slip joint on the steering shaft is good, the steering column is good, the rag joint is new.
All of the inner and outer tie rod ends are new.
The only parts left are the radius bushings and the king pins.
But I can move the steering wheel back and forth about an inch or so in either direction, there is no movement on any front end parts that indicate needing replacement.
So the only thing left i think would be the steering gear which may need adjustment.
i checked the steering play with the front end on the ground and the full truck weight on the suspension as if it were going down the road.

warhog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was the truck aligned after replacing all the tie rods?

x2 seems like you're doing things to chase slop in the steering and not touching on a major necessity to avoid wandering like you mentioned in the title. you need an alignment dude, then see where you're at.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
x2 seems like you're doing things to chase slop in the steering and not touching on a major necessity to avoid wandering like you mentioned in the title. you need an alignment dude, then see where you're at.

If KING pins are worn as mentioned...and the bushings shot...alignment won't do a thing...

He can adjust toe in at home very easily...set your toe in is about all I can think he can do prior to replacing worn bushings etc...BUT no good alignment shop should do anything if further work is needed....it's just putting good money after bad!

King pins are integral in this system as are the the radius arm bushing and I beam end bushings!

Just saying....

As for slop in box....

Well take off the tie rod from the pitman arm and then with engine running turn that steering shaft by hand and see if you can notice any free play...if so...adjust ever so slightly on the box adjustment, that actually is just a preload on the box not a slop adjustment per say. It will help a little....not a lot!

JM2CW

Al

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online