Truck is running great, but won’t drive

Markminyard

Reaction score
With it off, in neutral, and on stands on the rear axle, can you get the driveshaft to move?

Engine running, trans in neutral, transfer case in 2 hi, release the clutch pedal, what does it do?
I have encountered the same problem you are describing. I deal with a lot of old cars that set for years. To me the clutch disk is stuck to the flywheel or pressure plate. Most of the time you can rev it up and release kind of hard but not letting it kill the engine and it will break it loose on which ever side is stuck. What it is doing is just like the brakes do sometimes when they set. Once you get it to turn free, you will feel it. Then just slip the clutch a little and it will clean it up.

Markminyard

Reaction score
I have encountered the same problem you are describing. I deal with a lot of old cars that set for years. To me the clutch disk is stuck to the flywheel or pressure plate. Most of the time you can rev it up and release kind of hard but not letting it kill the engine and it will break it loose on which ever side is stuck. What it is doing is just like the brakes do sometimes when they set. Once you get it to turn free, you will feel it. Then just slip the clutch a little and it will clean it up.
If that doesn't work check fluid in tranfer case. I have seen them out of fluid and the chain inside is locked like a old bicycle chain that has been sitting outside

Nimainimai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey all. Huge update. I went out this morn, and was wondering if I left the truck running and tried pushing in neutral, would it roll. Well, it didn’t. I pulled the vacuum off the brake booster, and what do you know, I was able to push the truck back. Went down to Oreilys and picked up a new booster and installed it. Truck goes forward and backwards with no problem now. Brakes work to boot! Gonna do an oil change tomorrow morning and go for a little spin. Thanks for all the help along the way to gettin this mystery solved guys.

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
That one was tough and a odd one. You mentioned it did not do it when on the jack stands. Yet on the ground it would not move under power but you could turn all 4 wheels by hand. Sounds like the booster and master cylinder were releasing slowly. So it was intermittent when it would keep the brakes applied. Glad you figure it out.

Last edited:

Nimainimai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep, after I shut off the truck I couldn’t move it for about 3 mins, but the brake system eventually lost pressure and I was able to push it again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726