truck dies?

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
recently I have been having a problem with the truck dieing as it tries to return to idle. If you are driving along at rpm it runs perfectly fine and does not starve for fuel(surge). when you punch the clutch to stop and the engine tries to return to idle it will bog hard as it hits idle and then sometimes die. I figured it was a sticky valve in the ip so I did a filter change with the new filter filled with atf and put a quart of atf and a pint of seafoam in each tank. This doesnt seem to have changed anything.

I am running wmo but it was my own personal oil(mixture of 15-40, 5-30, 10-30, lawnmower oil and a little bit of gear oil) it was filtered through a 15 micron water block goldenrod and a 5 micron filter multiple times before mixing it about 50/50 with diesel.

I am going to check pressure and volume tomorrow and see if there is problems there but I am kinda worried my ip **** the bed.

Any thoughts? would the gear oil hurt anything? I have ran wmo plenty of times always filtered through the same setup and never had problems but this is my first time having gear oil in the mix.

Wyreth

Certifiable Noob
Reaction score
Have you done the, fill the filter with ATF idle it for 1-2 min, then let it sit overnight yet? Or did you just add and go? The gear oil shouldn't cause that. (I will wait for one of the IP masters to chime in, before I say for certian) Really it does sound EXACTLY like a sticky IP valve.

Danielle

No, it's not finished
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think mine was doing exact same thing. It ran great, I would downshift for a turn or to come to a light and it would stall, but start right up.

I happened to have Diesel Crawler come by not long after it happened. He did the return lines, the ATF over night trick, and he timed it, and it hasn't done it at all since. In fact, it runs so nice that the customers I drive around in it constantly comment on how smooth it runs! Since more than one thing was done to it at once, I am not sure if the pump had to be ATF'd (heh) or it was the leaking return lines. The truck I am talking about is a 7.3 n/a

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
Im running an electric pump with flow ratings equivalent to the holley red

volume is a little over 2 pints in 30 sec and pressure is 10 psi, both of these readings were taken at the schrader with the valve core removed and nothing else done to the lines.

could a blocked return line cause this problem because the pressure seems pretty high, the pump is supposed to be about 5-7 psi I dont know what the deal is there

bought to go take the pressure spring apart and see if there are problems in the pump

Fordsandguns

Fords Rule
Reaction score
I don't know whether a blocked return would cause it or not, but a sticking metering valve in the IP is what I've always read on OB as being the cause.
If you have a compressor with a regulator to drop down to 10 or 15 psi you could blow through the return line going back to the tank to see if it's blocked.

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
great minds think alike man I just saw that post and that is what I was doing outside after that last post I made. didnt seem like they were clogged much if at all but it still made no difference in pressure or volume. Took the e pump apart and the pressure bypass port was dirty and the piston was hung up. cleaned that and now volume is about the same but pressure is somewhere around 4 or 5 lbs.

didnt fix the stumbling when returning to idle though, guess this next tank will be lucas and atf mixed because I am out of ideas as to what is causing this besides a sticky metering valve

Fordsandguns

Fords Rule
Reaction score
I would do the atf in the filter and run it 30 seconds or so and let it set over night. I bet the metering valve is sticking.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The metering valve/govenor assembly IS sticking. That's the problem your trying to fix. Drain the pump through the fuel screw adjustment cover and reinstall. Remove the top cover, following the precautions mentioned in the Fuel Injection Servicing tech article. Hit basically, everything you see in there with Gumout, or Brakeclean, taking care to operate the govenor assembly with your hand while spraying, and then fill the pump directly, and fuel filter also with Howes Diesel Treat. Reinstall the top cover and allow to soak for as long as you can. Problem will hopefully be gone. If not, you may have a piece of dirt or debrise lodged in the metering valve and that will not go away easily.

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
thanks alot mel I knew this was probably the problem. I didnt know that when you pulled the cover that you could clean it like this though so that is most definately good news. will try that this evening and see what happens, I know about the runaway if the cover is not installed correctly so we shall see what happens...