Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Cummins 6BT

Votes: 11 40.7%
  • Other list below

Votes: 2 7.4%

• Total voters

DBogo

Reaction score
ok Deezle1 bought an old IH 504 tractor and now we want to have some fun with it what engine do you think we should put in it i think they will all fit pretty easally except im not too sure of the old green grenade fitting personally i want the 3208 but i wanted to see what yall thought about it

PackRat

Buzzard Pilot
Reaction score
Boy that's a tough one. I voted Cummins, because you can't go wrong with one, if your going to work it.

If it's just to be sick and wrong(my personal favorite), I'd go with the Detroit, and make a real screamer out of it. Forget the turbo, keep the huffer, and run dual straight stacks, right up beside the hood. Believe me, NOBODY, will miss knowing that you are out playing with the new toy. *note* Warning-Do not attempt to operate heavy equipment with a hangover. LOL

DBogo

Reaction score
you guys can feel free to discuss this two like the strong and weak points of what you chose

dieseldummy

Lost in time
Reaction score
I say go for an inline 671 detroit. If a DT466 will fit it will as well. They are pretty easy to get some power out of and are also pretty cheap. The cat will be expensive and be a pain in the rear... I've acctually got a 671 setting on the shop floor in pieces that I was going to do something similar with, but haven't got to it.

PackRat

Buzzard Pilot
Reaction score
Actually, I was thinking of a 6V71, myself, strickly from the 'sick & wrong' perspective.

Deezle1

Fah-Q Racing
Reaction score
Thats what i opted for, but seeing as it is BOTH DBogo's and Myselves tractor we need somthing that will float both our boats. I will go with pretty much anything if its mod-able and can make a bit of power. I just love the old 2 stroke detroits that are super and turbo charged.....i get wood quite frankly LOL

JR

DBogo

Reaction score
any diesel will float my boat just dont want something that everyone else has

Deezle1

Fah-Q Racing
Reaction score
Not insulting DBogo or anything, im just curious, Has anyone seen a 6v71 in a tractor? like the one we have? its a International 504. Like i said Darian, im not puttin ya down in any way, just askin round to see if anyones seen a 6v71 shoehorned into a smaller/medium tractor.

JR

dieseldummy

Lost in time
Reaction score
I've heard of a 671 and seen several 471's installed in old LA case tractors, but no v 6's. The only 504 I've been around was gas with a F11 farmhand loader on it... It was and still is a pos IMHO. Hopefully yours is better.

silverado3500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just wondering. . . How do the dt466 and the 6bt compare in size? I had a transplant idea pop into my head for when my trusty 7.3 wears out (not likely anytime soon).

Deezle1

Fah-Q Racing
Reaction score
well guys, i got it painted, thrown back together with a 4bt in it for now untill i can get a 6v71.....ive got injectors in it and a hx35 turbo. Runs extremely well.

Best wishes, and long time no see...

Dom