Transmission (C6) problem/question

spg

Big Red
Reaction score
The Dipstick and Tube have to be matched to each other and the transmission. Dipstick length only will not give you the right answer.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You guys laugh, but do you have a better idea? LOL
I KNOW somebody has a C6 equipped F series out there.....

Maybe some one swapped it from an E series, since those are longer to reach further back to the tranny.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Go to a uhaul and measure a stick on one of there like trucks if there is any. Notice how hi the tube comes up.

Flagship

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok. I'll try to find a new factory dipstick, seeing as no here wants to admit the length of theirs. I think that says a lot by itself! :rotflmao

The pan seems to show no damage. C'mon C6 guys, is there the possibility that the filter could be mispositioned? Could there be a leak in the pickup tube? Could it be connected to the "Wait to go into gear after starting" situation?

I was told that after sitting all night, having to wait to go into gear was just part of being a C6. That right?

I keep seeing posts about how "Bullet Proof" and "Solid" and reliable this tranny is. Then this. Never had this experience before. What really gives?

Devilish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"Wait to go into gear after starting" = low pressure and/or worn bands/ clutch pack. Low pressure can also be caused by a plugged filter, but you'd have issure at higher speeds as well
Look here : http://epc.uhaul.com/LinkOne/Viewer/book.aspx?book=u-haul/ford for part # relating to dipstick/tube. Afaik uhaul would only order from that list. There is another possibility albeit a less likely one. The Ford c-6 uses typ F trans fluid only. Dextron is a thinner fluid compared to type F. I was told 30 years ago that other than type F is bad for those older design transmissions.
Basically just go get a trans service. Some local trans shops put coupons in the phone books or coupon mailers. That'll save you some cash. Don't go to Jiffy lube or other lube specialty shops. All they do is fluid exchanges. You'd want a shop that concentrates on transmissions.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok. I'll try to find a new factory dipstick, seeing as no here wants to admit the length of theirs. I think that says a lot by itself! :rotflmao

I know. These guys can be so immature sometimes....cookoo:rolleyes:

The pan seems to show no damage. C'mon C6 guys, is there the possibility that the filter could be mispositioned? Could there be a leak in the pickup tube? Could it be connected to the "Wait to go into gear after starting" situation?

The C6 doesn't have an inlet tube on the transmission filter since the filter is immersed completely in fluid. The E4OD on the other hand can have that problem but this isn't one of them.

One thing I did have with my C6, is the inlet screen was partially clogged by dried bits of up RTV sealant. I would guess it was about 25% blocked but replacing the screen made absolutely no difference in how the transmission worked after the fluid change. It still worked perfectly.

How long is your engagement delay? Is it slow even after the first time popping into gear?

I was told that after sitting all night, having to wait to go into gear was just part of being a C6. That right?

That would be the converter draining back. Its not normal, but even if it did drain back on you, it shouldn't take more than about 30 seconds at the most.

I keep seeing posts about how "Bullet Proof" and "Solid" and reliable this tranny is. Then this. Never had this experience before. What really gives?

Hey, if you were an ex Uhaul truck, you would be a bit ornery by now too;Really:rotflmao

E4ODs die under those conditions, C6s just get even with the next guy.

Seriously though, there are guys here that have the same engine, transmission and chassis (f Series) and should be able to give you a length to compare against.

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
"Wait to go into gear after starting" = low pressure and/or worn bands/ clutch pack. Low pressure can also be caused by a plugged filter, but you'd have issure at higher speeds as well
Look here : http://epc.uhaul.com/LinkOne/Viewer/book.aspx?book=u-haul/ford for part # relating to dipstick/tube. Afaik uhaul would only order from that list. There is another possibility albeit a less likely one. The Ford c-6 uses typ F trans fluid only. Dextron is a thinner fluid compared to type F. I was told 30 years ago that other than type F is bad for those older design transmissions.
Basically just go get a trans service. Some local trans shops put coupons in the phone books or coupon mailers. That'll save you some cash. Don't go to Jiffy lube or other lube specialty shops. All they do is fluid exchanges. You'd want a shop that concentrates on transmissions.

Is Castrol Dex/Merc for use in older Ford and GM vehicles good for the C6?

That's what I put in mine, as they were out of type F when I needed some!

Devilish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did further checking reagarding fluid usage. 1976 and prior c-6 transmissions use type f only. A materials composition change was implimented after that. The new fluid for a few years was a cj designation. Ford quietly gave up on this and mercon became the fluid of choice. I found this regarding atf http://www.aa1car.com/library/atf.htm
So basically I was talking outta my neck regarding atf In our c-6 transmissions. Sorry!

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
I did further checking reagarding fluid usage. 1976 and prior c-6 transmissions use type f only. A materials composition change was implimented after that. The new fluid for a few years was a cj designation. Ford quietly gave up on this and mercon became the fluid of choice. I found this regarding atf http://www.aa1car.com/library/atf.htm
So basically I was talking outta my neck regarding atf In our c-6 transmissions. Sorry!

I actually just went and pulled out my dipstick, and right on it, says Dextron II on it, or another one, just a bunch of numbers and letters.

mariner45

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the record, here is the information taken off the dipstick on my C6 transmission - mated to a 6.9 IDI, in a 1986 F250 SC, LB 4x4. It is the same dipstick that came with the truck when new in 1986

Here we go !

Length = 25 1/4"
Dexron 11
E3TP-7A020-BA ---- this I take to be the Ford part number.

HTH

Oh - I don't mind whipping my dip[stick out and measuring it if it helps - just being retired it takes while to get these things done :rolleyes::rolleyes::D:D:D:D

mariner