Transfer case ground clearance

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
By any chance do any of you folks with 4x4 without lift kits and with stock size tires ,know what the ground clearance is at the transfer case or the lowest part of it or associated framework?

I'm measuring to fit my auxiliary tranny in and need to figure out how low the thing can hang without being a problem.

Thanks------Robert

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I will look today when I go work on my truck, but if memory serves me right the T/C skid plate isnt much lower than the bottom of the fram, a couple inches maybe.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I don't know which ones have which transfer cases, but I know I 've seen a few fords that have a transfer case setup where the crossmember below it hangs down quite a bit.

I just want to make sure I don't have the thing slung down where it's going to get whacked on something. I have room to go up with the thing under the bed, but I'm afraid driveshaft angle to the rear might get too steep

FordGuy100

Reaction score
My skid plate looks as if it is about 3-4" lower than the bottom of the frame at the lowest spot, and the T/C has like an inch of clearance above the skid plate.

Maybe you should go to a wrecking yard and find a skid plate for some added protection for your overdrive :dunno ;Sweet

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have stock suspension with an add-a-leaf up front (which is pretty much a leveling kit) and I get 18" to the bottom of my frame and 13" to the bottom of the crossmember that goes below the transfer case. I have 285s on my truck which should be 16.41" to the center of the axles, whereas the stock tire size should be 235/85R16s, which have a radius of 15.86, which is about 1/2" shorter, so I am guessing the height you are looking for is right around 12.5".

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dieselmainiac

Members online

No members online now.