trans fluid leak

international

Drownin' in diesel
Reaction score
trans is leaking BAD! I put about 3 gallons of fluid in to make it 30 miles home. It seemed to just have sprung a leak. It only pours out when the truck is running. it drips but doesn't pour out when the truck is off. it is coming from the torque converter "dust cover" nipple. HELP! it's my work truck.

THANK YOU GUYS IN ADVANCE

international

Drownin' in diesel
Reaction score
I JUST DID SOME INTERNET RESEARCH....Some guys at Ford Truck Enthusiasts said when the converter gets too hot the front seal swells and it starts belching out fluid. when it cools down it doesn't leak. Anyone else have this problem or know a fix?

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know its a little late, but if its indeed your front seal, then the only fix is to drain the converter, drop the transmission and replace the seal. It is exposed once you slide the converter off the input shaft.

Get a blue replacement seal. Thats the upgraded seal and it won't leak as easily when things get hot next time. Do you have a trans temp gauge to know how hot it got?

international

Drownin' in diesel
Reaction score
I ended up burnin' the transmission up. I got a new one from Jasper. I didn't originally know it was the front seal and that it was a common problem. I have updated my posts in the idi forum to let you guys know what I intend to install along with the new trans. I will be able to keep an eye on the temp from now on. 'Course the temp shouldn't get all that hot running two coolers...;Sweet

Thanks for the reply though.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online