Trans filter

Cowboy_Customs

Rhinestone Cowboy
Reaction score
I am going to be replacing some tranny stuff in the near future (sence Im gettin my nice new sonnax valve for my valve body, for my b-day) But I want to put in an inline filter, well maybe not an "In-line" but I want a canister type. Is there such a kit somewhere or am I going to have to make one my self? If I have to make one my self, is it possible to use just a plain ol oilfilter and use some sort of filter head unit? maybe like out of a relocating kit from summit or jegs? I'm trying to avoid rubber hose, I WANT to remake the whole ATF cooling system using braided stainless. (I LOVE that stuff. Ive used it in the past) Besides the canister type would be a lot more common components and cleaner, when it comes time to change the filter. What do ya think? I'll even take pics, and do a write up, if you guys want when I do it, most likely with in a month. (just want to do my part here)

:draw

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Look in a Summitt or Jegs catalog, I think its perma-cool that makes a external filter kit with a gauge for around $80. I have used 2 of these kits before and am thinking of one myself for my E40d. I know that its helped save the tranny in my race car because I burnt up 3 before installing an external filter.
It comes with rubber line but you can use braided line if you get the right fittings.

hheynow

the misanthrope
Reaction score
Cowboy_Customs said:
But I want to put in an inline filter, well maybe not an "In-line" but I want a canister type. Is there such a kit somewhere or am I going to have to make one my self?

I have a Magnefine inline tranny filter. The magnet attracts ferrous particles floating through the ATF keeping them out of the transmission. It's mounted behind my grill and connected inline near my tranny cooler.

Cowboy_Customs

Rhinestone Cowboy
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, i'll check out summit tonight. I like how it has built in guage deal, I am going to add a trans temp guage when I do everything so that'll make life a lil easier.
Thanks for the link to magnafine hheynow I keep forgetin about them!

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ironman03R said:
Look in a Summitt or Jegs catalog, I think its perma-cool that makes a external filter kit with a gauge for around $80. I have used 2 of these kits before and am thinking of one myself for my E40d. I know that its helped save the tranny in my race car because I burnt up 3 before installing an external filter.
It comes with rubber line but you can use braided line if you get the right fittings.

I have the Permatex filter on my truck. Great unit. Has a hole for trans temp gauge, although I am using the hole already in my trans pan for that. I'm not sure if the filter is doing much good--I've only put maybe 8000 miles on the transmission since BTS rebuilt it in '04. Fluid is still bright red, as I'd expect.

Mike

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online