Trans dianostic tool

jimraelee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know of a scan tool that will read 91 E4OD tranny codes??? most see dont work with out 7.3 IDI Diesel package

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All you need is the regular old EEC code reader. All it really does is count the number of "flashes" that the computer sends. You could do the same thing yourself with a voltmeter or test light.

The one I bought just said it did not work on 94 diesels (because in 94 you could get the PSD which was OBD2, not EEC). However they still work on 94 IDI's.

jimraelee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup Yup, picked a little unit yesterday... reads codes and also clears them. I was using test light method, but I was seeing some weird codes, like 2 and 1. so picked one up $30. Most of the units I was looking at didn't talk about our diesels, so the field was narrowed on selection.

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Diesel does not matter, the diesel does not use a computer. Any of the sensors on the motor are simply to simulate gas engine inputs and are used only for trans shifting.

jimraelee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OH I understand... but with them not listing the diesel engine in there coverage chart I was wondering... didn't want to spend $30-$50 for a scanner to not have it compatible.

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well figure the only IDI's with EEC are 1989 - 1994 with E4OD automatic transmissions. It's a pretty small percentage compared to all the EEC vehicles out there.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online