Tranny went!

camconative

Reaction score
1996 F-250 auto tranny w/ OD, 4x4

I was towing my camper up a long hill today. Engine temp was normal, no sign of problems. Just as a broke the top of the hill, suddenly I had no forward engagement.
I stopped the truck, checked and had no forward gears...still had reverse. No tranny fluid leaking and level normal. I had it towed away on a flatbed. The tow guy said the pump shaft probably broke.
His shop installs rebuilt trannys from Auto-Zone.

The truck is sitting waiting for a decision from me...any advice? Any help appreciated because this looks like it could be an expensive repair, not to mention a ruined vacation!

Randy

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if it's a '86, it should be a C-6 auto tranny. the OD would be aftermarket.
It's tough to screw up rebuilding a C-6, the 4x4 feature on your truck will add cost to the R&R. If you're on vacation, whereabouts are you at?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I installed a BTS trans in my truck alone... It was hell but the rewards are forever. Brian installs these trans also. He uses a triple disc converter with 150 square inches of friction material... The stock converters have 25 square inches of friction material... You will never wear out these converters or transmissions. They post a 2 year warranty but its really ... Any horse power... Any torque... No questions asked... You will not spend better money buying one of these trans that for sure. I can't tell you how happy I am with mine... I added a Gear Vendors overdrive myself to the BTS... Now I can travel at 85 mph turning 1850 rpm getting 18.9 mpg. You can't hear the motor running at all... Ford offers a decient rebuild too but thats nowheres near a BTS.... Sun Coast Trans in Florida offers about the same as BTS. Don't trust just any trans rebuild shop for the E4OD trans... Sorry for your vacation issues too... Been there too...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online