Tranny trouble

rubberfish

Reaction score
Hey Guys,,, A while back I posted in The Lounge,( Please Help) some smart mouth remark about driving a Dodge. he he. Anyways, it really does have a tranny problem. The truck is currently parked slightly uphill in the driveway. ( 92 CTD 4spd auto ) The gear selecter moves, and the trans shifts into reverse, and rocks a bit, but the truck doesn't move. Not backwards, not forwards, doesn't even roll backwards in neutrel:eek: . It kind of feels like the trans moves to forwards and reverse and ****, but the park pin is stuck. Is this possible?

FOXY005

Reaction score
If the pin was stuck I dont think you would be able to move the shift lever.

Release the Parking Brake !

B

Big K

Originally posted by FOXY005
If the pin was stuck I dont think you would be able to move the shift lever.

Yeah, but if the park pawl is broken in place, with truck weight resting on it, then...... :confused:

Proper parking procedure is to stop, set park brake, allow truck to move a bit in neutral until brake sets, and then shift to park. That way the weight of the vehicle is resting on the park brake, and not stressing the park pawl.

Last edited by a moderator:

BigSix

Reaction score
I could also be the torque converter draining back overnight. Our Durango does this every now and then. If the drainback valve sticks open, it won't pull until the torque converter fills back up. My '95 didn't have a drainback valve. It would do it quite often. It doesn't hurt anything unless you rev the hell out of it trying to force it to go. I few seconds in neutral, D or reverse will fill it. Fluid doesn't flow in Park. IF that 's the problem, you can put a drainback valve in the cooler line.

rubberfish

Reaction score
Thanks for all your responses guys.

I've ruled out the frozen park brake, 'cause it's well above freezing ( not all of Canada is a frozen wasteland :) )

Even with the truck not running, it will not roll backwards out of the driveway in neutrel. The shifter moves all the right way, and with the truck running the trans does want to move the truck, it rocks a little bit, the same amount as if it was parked level with no park brake applied and you were to push on the tailgate a bit. Dad says this only happens once in a while, so sure as ****, if I put it on a tow truck and bring it to a shop, it'll be fine when I get it there. What Dad has always done when this happens, is start pouring on the coal till he FEEL'S ( 'causes he's deaf ) a big bang :eek: :eek: and then the truck works fine for a while. ( I'll have to remember to never lend him MY truck;) )

TnLRacing

I Promise I won't BOMB it
Reaction score
Check the condition of the fluid...if the fluid smells burned or looks burned it is also a possibility that you have two set of clutchs that are welded together. This would cause the truck to attempt to go forward and backwards at the same time. Thus binding the trans up.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RustyNail351

Members online