tranny or transfer case trouble?

fullsizebronco

Reaction score
ok this is what is happening i was driving the truck for about 13 or so hours strait and i was going up a massive long hill and i noticed a light almost whining noise and almost the feeling that the truck was being held back just a hair so i down shifted and went on my was the closer i got home the more noticeable the whine got and about 2.5 hours later when i made it home it was very apparent that there was a very loud whine sounds like a loud super charger almost and when i really stomp on it the truck now has the real loud whine and it really feels like its holding back

now at first i thought it was the transfer case but now even if i sit in the truck and rev it it will make this noise clutch in or out so now im unsure if its the tranny or t case by the sounds of it it could be either could this be a shaft bearing in the tranny ? or something

i am going to pull the transfer case very soon i was going to do it today but worked late so is there anything i can check or look out for ? or anyone have a similar problem and know whats wrong? sorry for the long post and thank you for any and all help

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Year of truck?
What transmission?

Does it "hold back" with the transmission in neutral?

Do you feel any vibration in the steering wheel or in the seat that happens at the same time with the noise?

fullsizebronco

Reaction score
Sorry its the diesel in my signature 1994 f250 zf5 4x4 and the holding back is only in gear while accelerating hard I can drive the truck with real low rpms with no whine or the being held back feeling and no there is no vibration

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No vibration? huh, I was going to suggest the drive shaft or center support bearing if there was.

Only other thing I can think of that is RPM related is the fan, powersteering pump or the drive belt up front.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had the input shaft slip on the planetary in my 1345 Borg Warner T-case and it made a whirling noise and the RPM went up but the truck stopped pulling (the power was not being transfered to the driveshafts). Is that what you felt/heard?

Heath

Last edited:

Black Horse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just took my T-case apart to have a look before it goes back in the truck and I found that the bracket that holds the oil pump was half broken. Maybe yours is not pumping oil anymore to the top bearings?

fullsizebronco

Reaction score
yes that sounds exactly like what is happening to my truck i guess ill just grab a t case from pick a part and throw it in and see what happens worse case even if it the tranny i still have 2 other fords that use the same transfer case so it wont be bad to have a spare as for the pump not pumping that may be but i dont really know how to rebuild a transfer case so ill just get the used one

fullsizebronco

Reaction score
Well as it turns out ! Its the damn turbo the fins are blown apart! I guess the bearing went :( I'm lucky my motor seems to be fine still I guess none of the metal that sheared off the fins screwed anything I don't seem to be smoking at all other than black so got the turbo off and now I'm deciding whether to rebuild it with e bay parts or take it to a shop or see if there is a used one I can find. Is there a upgrade I could be switching to while its all off?