Tranny leaking question after it sits.

jlwoods99

Reaction score
My E4OD in my 92 leaks after it sits awhile. check the fluid level before starting and it was about 3" above the full mark when I started it nothing showed on the stick. Wondering if this sounds like a check valve in a cooling line dumping back to the tranny then leaking. It looks like from tail shaft and some of the pan bolts are wet. I did change the pan gasket and filter last year. Its set awhile and now the puddle. slight movement in the tail shaft so I probable need a new bushing.

thanks
jim

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the cooler and lines only hold a few ounces. not enough to over fill it when parked.

jlwoods99

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, Wasn't sure about the check valve thing I read about in another tranny post. Thought maybe the torque converter was dumping back to the pan and overfilling. Can that rear bushing be done with the tranny in the truck, just pulling the tail piece?

jim

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Yes.. The rear tailshaft bushing can be done with the trans in the truck but. you will need to remove the housing and press in the bushing. Might want to check the drive shaft yoke too for wear. If its showing a low stop you will need to replace that too or the bushing is going to take a beating and wear out fast. Be sure you have something under the tailshaft housing when it breaks loose from the trans body. Some fluid will spill out.