tranny is on bench

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Ok the tranny is on the bench - got the top cover off and the rear case torn off - yes there are some teeth damaged on the counter-rotating gear for 5th but it's not bad and when I seen them I told my nephew they will be just fine - only a nick or two - not a big deal. looking at the situation on the bench it's not all that bad.

The inside of the tranny looks great - I mean everything is nice and tight with no real signs of wear.

5th gear it's self looks great - only a small nick two of the teeth - nothing to worry about there - seen much worse in industrial equipment over the years run for almost forever before a failure.

So are you seeing where I'm going with this....

Yep fired up the welder and welded the wholely freaking snot out of it - the threads for the nut are gone totally - when it shot the gear off it tore them out totally. So I welded the gear to the shaft - all the way around. then shoved the nut up there and welded it to the shaft (again all the way around) then filled in between the nut and the gear to make them one piece.

Figured that if it broke again it was going to take out the entire thing. Damn it I'm looking to get this back on the road.

So my nephew will come back up in week and stuff it back in the tranny for me.

Before I got a little aggressive with the welding but nothing like I did last night in my barley and hops clouded view... But I feel pretty good about it - I used 7 rods up last night doing the repair.

Now I just need to get my hands on a clutch alignment tool and we will be rocking...

Yesterday as we were headed over to my buddies shop we stopped at walmart for supplies (beer for the kiddies, mt. dew for the adults and ice for the cooler) My nephew in true 19yr old fashion said "hey you need to whip a few donuts back behind the building since we are going be going through it".... Ok insert Travie mentallity.... Yep she was wasting tires like they are free. He took a video on his phone and is supposed to be emailing it to me here soon - something about he has to set up is account to email it out :dunno but I should have some video of Sherman and I rolling tire smoke. It's pretty much a given that I need tires now.... cookoo LOL ;Sweet ....

We wrestled with getting the tranny out - ended up having to cut the floor board out about 2 inches to get room for the stub on the shifter to slide back. So I will have to fire up the welder to repair that and hopefully I don't set the carpet on fire.

Whit

Reaction score
thats alot of heat on the shaft and 5th gear

I have welded the nut on a couple of em and I always did 3 spot welds to limit the heat

stripped the threads ............she- it that aint good

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent