TRANNY GURU'S NEEDED

bct

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im in a bind. Im on a budget, my trannys slippin like crazy. A little over a year ago it was slippin so i put in a transgo reprogramer (without the line pressure valve that goes behind the converter) and amsoil synth in it and it came back better than it was before. I dont think my chip has any line pressure in it either btw. Im thinking I can afford to try a new converter and some mobil 1. My question is I'v heard the 4r100 converter will fit in the e4od and is an upgrade. Is that true? And i hear the sr110 converter fits the 4r100 and is an upgrade. Is that true? Lastly, would putting a sr110 in the e4od be a better choice? Lastly i hear the going price for these converters is arround $300, is that true?

A little Direction here would rock. I'd put the line pressure valve in while doin the converter obviously. maybe even an external filter also. Its that or trade the truck in and buy time on the next rigs tranny. I like the truck its just small stuff like this that makes me want to wash my hands of it. I really like that I have 10 more payments too!

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, the 4R100 will fit into the E4OD, I also believe that the 5R will as well but I think there is some shaft mods that have to be done, I dont know all the details so I cant comment further on your second choice converter.

The 4R100 is considered an upgraded TC, but IMHO if you are into the tranny (I know, money is tight :mad: ) you should really consider a GOOD converter. Unless you are just wanting to limp along and pop for a MB or BTS down the road in a year or so, the 4R100 wont hang in there long either.

One thing that will help if you are in a bind, take the chip out and baby it, go easy on the long slender pedal on the right. I can give you a little bit of info on a much better TC for not much more money than the 4R100 if you are interested.

On a side note............. I thought the 97's had the 4R100 tranny in them?

bct

Full Access Member
Reaction score
95_stroker said:
On a side note............. I thought the 97's had the 4R100 tranny in them?

Not this one, its an early 97. I may be able to throw $500 at the whole deal. Whats the other converter option? I talked to BTS a while back when my first slip issue started and he said his coverter would tear up a stock/slightly modified tranny.

Im all ears and would love to get something worthwhile I just can't spring for a whole rebuild at the moment.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When you did the trans-go kit last year did you happen to peek at the cluthes? I guess what I'm getting at here is do you think the clutches are slipping or the old TC? How many miles are on this tranny? Are you running an aftermarket trans cooler and to your knowledge has this tranny ever been smoking hot? If we can get answers to some of these questions we might be able to help push you in the right direction. I bought a converter and trans-go tugger kit through Richter69, Without the tugger kit I think it would be pretty dang close to the 500-600 dollar range. But, if your clutches are shot then putting in a decent converter is a total waste of money.

bct

Full Access Member
Reaction score
95_stroker said:
When you did the trans-go kit last year did you happen to peek at the cluthes? I guess what I'm getting at here is do you think the clutches are slipping or the old TC? How many miles are on this tranny? Are you running an aftermarket trans cooler and to your knowledge has this tranny ever been smoking hot? If we can get answers to some of these questions we might be able to help push you in the right direction. I bought a converter and trans-go tugger kit through Richter69, Without the tugger kit I think it would be pretty dang close to the 500-600 dollar range. But, if your clutches are shot then putting in a decent converter is a total waste of money.

I didnt peak at the clutches. At the time the install was pretty close to my techical limits as it was my frits time in a tranny. TRANSMITION that is..... :D Yes im sure its been hot and no, no cooler. 150k miles.

What would I be looking for when peaking at the clutches, I could dive in and pull the bottom appart to find out before tearing it out i guess. I do feel confident enough to take the trans appart and get it back together, however I wouldnt be able to notice extranious wear or other odities. Has anyone tryed to do thier own killer rebuild? what was the cost?

I do however think I can put a killer tranny in a year or so. The worry is, will my fix hold for the 48 hour round trip to glamis at thanksgiving and other slightly shorter trips I have coming.

Last edited:

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Best bet is to contact Richter69. He is a tranny guru extrordinaire. Hes got a photo essay in his webshots of a complete tranny build up with all the good stuff.

HERE

He can give you the run down of what it entails, but its pretty complicated and a few special tools are needed.

jlayne

Bondo Bandito
Reaction score
this is somewhat of a gamble but... having lived on a very small budget i have taken a few on some old trucks of mine

a junkyard tranny can be had for $500-600 (or less) TC included... some of them will warranty them for 30 days (should be long enough to see if its going to slip or if the thing is worn out)... this might not be the best option but if the money is tight it could get you out of a bind untill the pastures are a little greener and you can get what you want

nothing shy of a rebuild is going to help ya if the clutches are slipping

as a little personal story i was using a truck for my own business about 5 years ago that had a 351W ... i popped it and need a motor very badly... after every one told me i would be buying junk i dropped a $450 junk yard special in it and it is still running today with probably 30K more miles on it... point being find a yard you can trust and you can find some good parts for pretty cheap, find a bad yard and they will sell you a smoked tranny and laugh at you

if your located close enought to Middle Tn to get one shipped to you for a decent price i know a real good yard that ships or you could pick it up

Last edited:

sassyrel

Reaction score
sell it?? and buy someone elses problems--just put the 4r100 in it for now--and take it easy--till you get some more money--the tq is normally the first to let loose--teh 5r110 will not fit without mods--john woods makes the parts to make it work--but that aint cheap either--just do the 4r100--and make sure you have that puppy all the way indexed in before you bolt it up--or youlll break the front pump!!!!

jlayne

Bondo Bandito
Reaction score
sassyrel said:
sell it?? and buy someone elses problems--just put the 4r100 in it for now--and take it easy--till you get some more money--the tq is normally the first to let loose--teh 5r110 will not fit without mods--john woods makes the parts to make it work--but that aint cheap either--just do the 4r100--and make sure you have that puppy all the way indexed in before you bolt it up--or youlll break the front pump!!!!

does he have a place on the web? i might want another gear someday :Sly

jlayne

Bondo Bandito
Reaction score
thanks 95 :hail

is this the whole tranny (didn't know that was doable) or just the TC

Last edited: