Towing in Overdrive?

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With the automatic transmission in the 2005-2006 trucks, can one pull in overdrive? I do it with my old Ford, but only because the transmission was specifically built to handle it. A stock automatic from a truck of this era is not intended to pull in OD... just want to know what the owner's manual says on the new Dodge diesels.

Thanks,

Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From the owners manual...

Towing with an automatic transmission

Vehicles equipped with an automatic transmission may shift into and out of overdrive, or a lower gear, when driving in a hilly area, when heavily loaded, or when towing into heavy winds....

When this condision occurs, press the TOW/HAUL button or shift into a lower gear to prvent excessive transmission wear and/or overheating, and to provide better engine breaking.

NOTE: do not exceed the following RPM while manually downshifting:

5.9L Diesel Engines 3200 RPM.

div7racer

Reaction score
Even in the tow/haul mode,my 2005 will go into od. If I accelerate or get to a hill it will shift back to 3rd.

BMF

Reaction score
I towed my camper in OD with '01 dodge on flat ground but kept it in D if there where any hills around. No problems

holtzer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
div7racer said:
Even in the tow/haul mode,my 2005 will go into od. If I accelerate or get to a hill it will shift back to 3rd.
the tow mode doesnt lock out o/d, it just moves the shift points to a higher rpm range to lessen the chance of shifting alot,which leads to heat, which leads to trans failure...then again..its an auto,...behind a cummins..theyve never been good trands choices. my suggestion, if you tow in an area where the trans shifts alot in and out of o/d, hit the tow mode and let it eat...or get a 6sp, like anyone who intends on towing more than a lawn mower should do ;Sweet

rvndave

Reaction score
My suggestion is to purchase the manual transmission. You will no longer have to be worried about tranny temps, shifting, or failures.

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys... I appreciate your advice.

I think the manual is best for our true needs... and we'll just have to deal with being slow from stoplight to stoplight. Grrrr.........

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Slow from stop lights :confused:

A stick is not slow from stop lights yes it takes a second longer for the shifts but trust me they are still quick :D

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
argve said:
Slow from stop lights :confused:

A stick is not slow from stop lights yes it takes a second longer for the shifts but trust me they are still quick :D

Guess ya just gotta know how to drive... :D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online