Torque Specs for steering linkage and more factory service manual questions

themechanicalford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I couldn’t get anything to come up for this using a modified google site search on here so I apologize if it’s been posted before.

I am replacing the tie rod and drag arm on my 93’ F350 and I need to know the torque specs for the 3 tie rod ends (passenger, driver and pitman arm links) as well as the torque specs for the 4 nuts on the 2 adjusting sleeves and the castle nut connecting the drag arm to the eye of the tie rod. I’ve heard to torque to 60 then tighten till you can get the pin in but I’m not sure if that was for an1 ton like mine.

I paid $60 just now for a subscription to alldata which people have mentioned and I’m not sure if it’s my browser, my ignorance or what but I couldn’t find anything on there. I didn’t see any schematics or torque specs. I was expecting a full FSM along with TSB’s but nope.

If anyone wants to sell or knows where to buy a printed or electric FSM for both the chassis and the motor I’m all ears!

Anyone tried the Chilton manuals? Are they pretty comprehensive?

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
I couldn’t get anything to come up for this using a modified google site search on here so I apologize if it’s been posted before.

I am replacing the tie rod and drag arm on my 93’ F350 and I need to know the torque specs for the 3 tie rod ends (passenger, driver and pitman arm links) as well as the torque specs for the 4 nuts on the 2 adjusting sleeves and the castle nut connecting the drag arm to the eye of the tie rod. I’ve heard to torque to 60 then tighten till you can get the pin in but I’m not sure if that was for an1 ton like mine.

I paid $60 just now for a subscription to alldata which people have mentioned and I’m not sure if it’s my browser, my ignorance or what but I couldn’t find anything on there. I didn’t see any schematics or torque specs. I was expecting a full FSM along with TSB’s but nope.

If anyone wants to sell or knows where to buy a printed or electric FSM for both the chassis and the motor I’m all ears!

Anyone tried the Chilton manuals? Are they pretty comprehensive?

I have the Haynes manual for F-series and Chilton for E-series. Both list torque specs, but always double check online or here. A Haynes manual for Dodge vans listed a torque spec as over 200ft lbs when it should have been something under 100. I seem to recall the Haynes manual for F-series having something wrong too.

TNBrett

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Look at the bottom line. The wording is odd, but that’s what you’re looking for. If it were listed as “Nut, Steering Linkage to Spindle” it would make more sense.

themechanicalford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the Haynes manual for F-series and Chilton for E-series. Both list torque specs, but always double check online or here. A Haynes manual for Dodge vans listed a torque spec as over 200ft lbs when it should have been something under 100. I seem to recall the Haynes manual for F-series having something wrong too.
Thanks. Are the torque specs listed on this site somewhere? Nobody has gotten back to me with the correct specs and now that you’ve mentioned mistakes in the manual I’m not sure about going that route either!

themechanicalford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Look at the bottom line. The wording is odd, but that’s what you’re looking for. If it were listed as “Nut, Steering Linkage to Spindle” it would make more sense.
Would that cover the castle nuts at both knuckles and to the pitman arm? How about the drag arm to the tie rod, any idea how that would be listed?

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Thanks. Are the torque specs listed on this site somewhere? Nobody has gotten back to me with the correct specs and now that you’ve mentioned mistakes in the manual I’m not sure about going that route either!

Well to be fair, I rebuilt the whole front end on my F250 (ball joints plus all linkages) using the Haynes manual and nothing broke or came loose. You just have to be weary of very high torque valves that may be wrong.