Torque Converter Shifting in/out of lockup

BigDogIDI

Reaction score
I recently had the transmission (e4od) rebuilt on my 1992. I had an upgraded torque converter installed too. My TC has been shifting in/out of lockup randomly. It will lock and unlock (every 2-3 seconds) for a couple minutes, then I won't have an issue for 10 minutes or so. I cleaned up where the tach sensor connects to the wiring harness and also where the harness plugs into the TPS. (Both checked out with a multimeter test...) This didn't seem to make a difference. Any ideas?

Ddizzy77

Reaction score
Might want to disconnect the batteries for an hour or so. See if it keeps doing it.

retiredinhomer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently had the transmission (e4od) rebuilt on my 1992. I had an upgraded torque converter installed too. My TC has been shifting in/out of lockup randomly. It will lock and unlock (every 2-3 seconds) for a couple minutes, then I won't have an issue for 10 minutes or so. I cleaned up where the tach sensor connects to the wiring harness and also where the harness plugs into the TPS. (Both checked out with a multimeter test...) This didn't seem to make a difference. Any ideas?

what was the idle voltage on the tps? I have mine set for 1.12vdc it changed the whole shifting pattern .

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
check all you lights including parking lightts and 3rd brake lite
had a 96 that the liscensce lite was out and that caused an isssue
also had a 02 van with the 3rd brake lite out do that
other thing to look at is trailer brake control id installed, had one in a 97 that was causing an issue

Sidewinded_idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Replace your tps. Mine was doing that when it had an internal short. It would test fine through setting with a multimeter but the vibrations going down the road it would lose connectivity and make it think you let off the gas and unlock the converter

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance