Tools helpful for clean off silcone sealer materal

johneich

John, 1983 F250
Reaction score
I have to clean this stuff off my front cover and top gear assembly, I am planning on using a wire brush on my drill, putty knives and screwdrivers, is there any power tools i can buy that would be helpful? i.e. power putty knife etc...

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
wire brush on drill=bad idea.
why? you'll get debris into the crankcase and it will get into the oiling system and cause problems.
i use an industrial razor blades and spray carb cleaner. also, stuff a rag into the open hole to keep debris from falling in.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
X3 on the above plus.... Use a shop vac around any cleaning so nothing can possibiy get into the open engine. Cleaning out the groove in the aluminum injection pump cover is a tuff job...

Arborigine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use aluminum foil for places like inside the trans hole, makes a good catcher. Anything than can fit in a bucket, old gas removes silicone in a day or two.

Arborigine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How is a razor blade used to clean the (circle) grove in the front cover?

Take a piece of 1/8 welding rod or coat hanger, hammer 3/16 of an inch at one end flat and file or grind to shape, then bend 90 degrees an inch from the end. Instant scraper. Makes a great back scratcher too..