too much wmo? hard to start after sitting 6hrs

Wanderer-rrorc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so I threw some filtered waste motor oil in...5-6gal (but unsure if I used the 15 or the 5mic filterbag as the number was worn off)

then had to change the fuel filter after it plugged up within 10min of running (old filter)..

now even on days when its 60 at night I have to plug her in overnight to start...(didnt start one cool saturday and I ether (starting fluid) sprayed the cone filter and she did start)...so I added 5gal of diesel to the tank..seemed to be ok after work starting...and ran 200 miles mixed with wmo the last 2 weeks..

yesterday afternoon she didnt want to start leaving work so I ethered and fired her up after much complaining from her..

and I stopped to add 12 gal of fresh diesel to the tank (22gal rear tank)

this mornin...pyro said the block temp was 111...and she still didnt wanna fire till the second cycle of glowplugs...

however once she's runnin its just fine...

lift pump?
crud in the tank stuck on the pickup? (but wouldnt that affect it after its runnin?)
fried the glowplugs?
ruddy fuel mix? (but now Im runnin less than 25% wmo by dillution)

Ive got another fuel filter that Im gonna toss on today...but im at a loss as to why its just now doing it....brand new series 31 (big boy!) batteries and everything spins nice and strong..

new injectors are here..and new ip on the way...just curious as to opinions!

dieselgiant

Dieselgiant
Reaction score
Mine would be hard to start, but it would light off it just took longer, it did start faster with two glow plug cycles, but I bet if you pull one of the Glow plugs there will be some build up on it.

sassyrel

Reaction score
1 minute before shutdown--id switch to the diesel only tank--problem solved!! wmo doesnt like to light off the best--heavy---as soon as it started on diesel--switch it over. doesnt take much time,or miles,after the switch to diesel only tank,to clear the lines so it starts easier.

Wanderer-rrorc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1 minute before shutdown--id switch to the diesel only tank--problem solved!! wmo doesnt like to light off the best--heavy---as soon as it started on diesel--switch it over. doesnt take much time,or miles,after the switch to diesel only tank,to clear the lines so it starts easier.

thanks for the info...but if I switch to my front tank I cant drive far...cus its sitting in the corner of the garage with WVO heating assemble waiting on my lazyness to reinstall it...

swapped the filter at lunch...its been on 300 miles...and had some sludge in the bottom...mebe Im knockin crud outta the tank?

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
Sorry to bump this but after the teardown of mine, I can tell you that the cooler it gets, the harder WMO is to start. There was not a ton of build up on my GPs and the guy who did the surface on the heads said they looked just like normal diesel heads with the little amount of build up on the outside of the precup.

But last year, after it got to 40*, I had to spray it because you can run it 2 or 3 cycles of the GPs and it will not necessarily start. After it runs for about 10 secs, you are golden. The crappy part is that I only have one tank, so there is no swapping tanks. Sucks to be me.

SWS

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll second that and add that starting on WMO is a BAD idea and you should avoid it at all costs. It's ******* the starter, glow plugs, and with all the extra cranking, probably the bearings as well. I should know, I run it pretty extensively in the Moosestang. I keep telling myself I'm going to install a second tank and put in something that will allow me to shutdown and start up on streight #2, but I haven't done it yet. I continue to abuse this motor because it makes financial sense to do so. However, putting in a diesel start system would increase my savings in the long run.

forcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like my truck when I forget to switch the tank to diesel before shutdown. I never had any luck starting on WMO without some extra cranking and ether once because it was around 50 degrees in the morning. Sounds normal to me and upon your filter clogging right up seems like either you had full synthetic WMO or oil has some water in it. I put about 20 gallons of synthetic oil by itself one time and I went through two fuel filters. I never have any luck with synthetic.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RustyNail351