Too many miles?

Offrhoder4x4

Reaction score
Couldn't find a newbie forum, so if this the wrong place to post, I'll move it.

Anyways, I just picked up a stock 94 7.3 PSD, 5spd with about 275k miles on it. I would like to start modifying with an intake/exhaust/chip, but I'm not sure if this engine has too much mileage on it and I should just leave it alone.

The engine runs strong, I have a few trouble codes to deal with before I start modding.

How about it? Too much mileage?

Also, if anybody has any suggestions on intake/exhaust/4-position chips/tuners, I'd love to hear them. I'm still learning the diesel "language". ;Sweet

Thanks

RenoF250

Reaction score
As long as it runs strong I do not think mileage is a factor. Besides, if you blow it up it will give you a reason to do a high performance rebuild. ;)

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tim,

Youve been a member for awhile but have just started posting........... let me officially welcome you to OB!! Glad to see you over here.

Mike

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Offrhoder4x4 said:
Couldn't find a newbie forum, so if this the wrong place to post, I'll move it.

Anyways, I just picked up a stock 94 7.3 PSD, 5spd with about 275k miles on it. I would like to start modifying with an intake/exhaust/chip, but I'm not sure if this engine has too much mileage on it and I should just leave it alone.

The engine runs strong, I have a few trouble codes to deal with before I start modding.

How about it? Too much mileage?

Also, if anybody has any suggestions on intake/exhaust/4-position chips/tuners, I'd love to hear them. I'm still learning the diesel "language". ;Sweet

Thanks

Offrhoder..

Let me give you the official welcome also.......

Now for your truck. At 275K I would say there are some things you should look into.

First and foremost, do you know the maintenance history of your truck?

Second... does it still have the stock Ford air cleaner/filter box?

Third....... do you know or have access to oil analysis?

Fourth..... do you know or have access to the coolant history.... specifically the DCA levels.

Now.... too much mileage? I seriously doubt it. Let us know what the trouble codes are and we can probably help you through them.

Intake and exhaust? Do an open element intake simialr to (or purchase from) TYMAR and on the exhaust side.... get rid of the flat down pipe that Ford supplied and go with a good aftermarket downpipe. If your cat is still intact you might consider losing it if your state doesnt inspect for said equipment. Trash the muffler if you enjoy some noise also. All this helps your EGT's considerably. Now onto a chip or tuner. Ask yourself what you realy want out of this truck,then we can point you in the direction of a tuner or a multi-position chip.

budtoh3zo

Reaction score
Welcome to the site, If it still runs strong and has low blow by go for it. Like mike said let us know what u want to do with it then we well point u in the right way.

Offrhoder4x4

Reaction score
Thanks for the info and welcome, guys. Unfortunately, I totalled the truck 2 weeks ago and I sold it to a buddy of mine in another club. It all worked out in the long run though. Insurance paid me over twice what I gave for the truck, so I ran right out and bought an 06 F250 PSD Quadcab 6psd 4x4. Man, I love this truck ;Sweet

Out with the old:
You must be registered for see images attach

In with the new:
You must be registered for see images attach

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OUCH!!!!!!!! How did you do that? Looks like you made a nice recovery into the 06. ;Sweet

Offrhoder4x4

Reaction score
Let's just say that after an extremely exhausting 23hr day, there's a slight chance that I may have left the tranny in neutral...and....umm....neglected to fully engage the parking brake. None of the damage was caused by it rolling away...It was the sudden stop at the bottom of the hill that brought the hurt. :oops:

Looks like the mods on the '06 will have to wait until the warranty expires. :angel:

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Offrhoder4x4 said:
there's a slight chance that I may have left the tranny in neutral...and....umm....neglected to fully engage the parking brake

That'll do her.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online