Tolerable limits of Bio in the IDI's in variable climates

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
This might belong here or it might go downstairs, but here's my question(s).

What is the limit of Bio that our engines can run with temps on the cooler sides here in Michigan being used in at the cooler/cold climate seasons without fuel system modifications?

I know that from past readings they eat anything but given the sporadic weather here it makes for a more indepth look.

Reason being is that I stumbled onto a bulk Bio dealer here in Cassopolis that is selling B-25 at $2.63/gal for road use. ;Sweet

Now doing the math with traditional D2 going for $2.99/gal is a no brainer.

The minimum order is 150 gallons so a bulk tank will be needed, one located with hand pump for $100.00.

Plus correct me if I am wrong but no additives are required for using Bio at that percentage?

SO.... If correct, when ULSD comes out, using a B-25 mix would keep me away from adding additives at every fill saving yet another $0.11/gal on fillup.

I really don't have enough mom/pop greasy spoons around this area to be beneficial on home brew so that option would be out.

For those running bio, what are you guys doing to aid in better flow rates for greater mixes and or weather temp cut of rates?

Would this be a mix to run year round without chances of plugging the fuel system?

Sorry, long winded but this is still new to me and may be worthy of a good discussion.

If not swonk away! :hail

Thanks ;Sweet

SKimballC

Reaction score
Firstly, what bio will do is clean your fuel system out, especially the tank, where deposits have developed and all that junk when loosened clogs your filter. This is not a constant problem. After the first couple of clogged filters you should be out of that neck of the woods. But what it WILL do is gel in colder climates, easier than #2 diesel. I personally used B20, B40, and B50 all winter long with zero problems, including a stretch in the mountains of Colorado where the temps were down to 0 degrees or worse most every night I was there. I have had no problems with fuel gelling. I doubt you will ever have problems with B25, any time of the year. If you're worried about it, you can always add a little bit of the additive of your choice, or you can even get some regular #2 and splash-blend it with your stash of B-25 to cut the ratio. Your supplier, like many, may actually splash blend your tank as you fill it up, so at that time you could mix any percantage you like, and pay your Bio $/per gallon plus the amount of diesel $/per gal. I was buying B100 at 2.35 a gallon in bulk for a while there because its as cheap as it got. I would take that back to the shop and add diesel in whatever percent I wanted.

Meta6981

Reaction score
NBB Study

The national Biodiesel Board published the results of cold weather testing. NBB cold weather study. Might be more information than you would want but none the less all cold weather questions should be answered in that article.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online