Timing

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I need some help with my timing. How do I know when it's "right?"

I feel kinda stupid, I bought a Ferret timing adapter but I still don't know exactly where the timing is on my engine with my new IP and injectors because I can't make out any marks on the timing marker.

So basically here's the deal. I have had the light hooked up and shot it while the engine was warm, and the timing mark is showing right about even with the bottom of the timing bracket thing on the front of the engine (this is after advancing it quite a bit from the originally installed position).

The engine fires right up very easily even when cold (something the old stuff did NOT do), and when cold it's definitely got a good rattle although that goes away after a short time of running. However even turned up 2 flats I can't peg the pyro like I could on the old pump. Also, it almost seems like it vibrates more at idle than it used to and I swear the exhaust "thrums" a lot more at idle/lower RPM's.

Any input? Should I turn it up another flat and see what it does? Am I too far advanced already?

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's difficult to explain with a keyboard.LOL

But this post seems to have a good bit of info on the use of a Ferret adaptor. I'v done it before and it's not too bad, but again, hard to explain, easy to show how to do it.

CLICK HERE

Heath

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ah, I wish I had an advance timing light...mine is just a plain jane model. Ah maybe I'll have to look into one of those at some point.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
It's pretty well impossible to use teh ferret with a timing light without an advance feature. There is teh first problem You have to set the advance to the correct timing setting and run the engine up to 2000rpms and teh reading at the light should line up at the 0 mark. THe system is not designed to be used with a non advance timing light . This is really a two man operation. You need someone to hold the throttle at 2000rpms steady while reading the thing. You can try a wedge block, but you need a fancy way to read the rpms under the hood. Make sure to sand off teh metal line so the paint is off and the metal is bare so you get a good reading and teh ground clamp gets a good connection