Time to drop the tanks?

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yaric008 said:
Was just thinking about my last post, I didn't mention it, but the funnel was upside down, ...
Are ya sure that (plastic) funnel is diesel fuel friendly?

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
HammerDown said:
Are ya sure that (plastic) funnel is diesel fuel friendly?

Well i'm not entirely sure. It was a yellow funnel (like diesel fuel cans), and i was figuring all funnels should be oil/fuel resistant. That is their main job, to funnel fuel and oil. I haven't really had any engine problems, but who knows.. the funnel might be floating around all broken in the tank just like the other factory one was.

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
Well I spent an hour and a half or so and got the front skid plate off. Thats enough progress for tonight. those bolts were rusted on there pretty good. :mad:

I'm going to try and fix the front tank this weekend but I haven't decided about the rear tank yet. I may just leave it and replace it with a bronco tank when I get a chance, but we'll see.

I wish ford had put drain plugs in. I dont suppose there is a good way to add one?

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
82fordtruck said:
I still think taking the bed off is the easiet way. You don't have to do any of that.
Really, isn't there alot of wireing and stuff to deal with and the bumper?

I've had both senders acting up for some 12 years. When either tank gets a little below below 1/2 the needles will fluctuate until I get down to about 1/8th tank...then they both read fine again. cookoo

82fordtruck

Reaction score
There is one plug going into the bed. The bumper can stay there. There are six bolts, remove those and pull it right off. Those beds are not too heavy. After doing this, the sending units are very accessible.

That plug going into the bed is the one everyone taps into for a 4 prong plug. Maybe someone put in a trailer plug, but all that stuff is aftermarket.

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
I agree with you, but I've got a big aux tank in the bed. So either way, I'm wrestling with tanks, fuel, and tank plumbing.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
HammerDown said:
Could ya give me a quick location where that puppy might be on a 88?
its in the general area where you would plug the "T" connector for the trailer wiring tap. around the center rear crossmember, right in the middle.

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
Well this wasnt too bad of a job. I finished it all up today after about 2 more hours. I just pulled the old pickup off, and put a length of fuel hose in its place. I didnt try to recreate the screen, that might be a mistake, we'll see

OkieGringo said:
There is a screen bypass valve on the upper part of the OEM plastic unit. If the bypass valve gets crap stuck in it or if it rotts away it will allow fuel in the line to run back into the tank..loosing the prime...allowing air into the system.
This is what was bad on mine. The plastic pickup assy was bascially fine, but this valve was broken. So when I got down to 1/4th of a tank it would suck air.

At any rate the front tank should be all better now. ;Sweet Thanks for the help guys. :hail Now I just need to decide if I should just fix the rear, or replace it with a bronco tank at the same time, but thats another thread.

rkpatt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would someone please provide ne with a link to a drawing of the entire fuel pick assembly for both tanks . - Thanks

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online