Thinking outside the box...

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
This is gunna pertain mainly to the N/A since that is what i am running but...

does anyone make a different cam for these engines? since they are like a gasoline engine would a more agressive cam be better for one choosing to stick N/A?

using the 6.2/6.5 govener spring to allow for a higher max rpm, would this be worth while on a N/A engine? i seen the intake and exhaust ports and they look like they can handle a little more rpm but will it still make any power or will the stock cam choke it down?

equal lenght, long tube headers. i know Stans makes a set but do they really do anything? perhaps coupled with a bigger cam, a little more rpm they may be worth while.

this is just for fun, to get people thinking outside the box.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Search the threads. This box was collapsed, tramped on, and taped back together. LOL

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
About the cam, Typ4 is running a differant grind so ask him about it. The heads can be ported for better flow too. Really not much extra offered for these motors and that too bad. These motors are a great bed for high horse power.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
There was one listed on Summit's site a while back. Didn't look to hard at it.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I just got to thinking, if there's alternative grinds available, the folks at Hillcrest Camshaft would probably know. Big truck cams are their specialty. Good place. Those are the guys I take everybody elses screw ups to and they always make magic happen ;Sweet Excellent diesel machine shop there.

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
i figured it was already covered but when i searched i came up with a lot of the headers and govener spring for turbo trucks.

what is the max safe rpm for one of these beasts? if u can get it to breath and rev to 5K safely that would make one helluva engine.

tractorman86

Reaction score
no way you can get one of these to spin 5k safely! they just arent made to do it, the structural integeity just isnt there. no larger diesel will handle that kind of rpm. but these headers you found, got a link or a site we could look at?;Poke

FordGuy100

Reaction score

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
looks like i need to see if the local beer dist. is willing to sell his old box truck with a 6.9 in it LOL. id like to try the govener spring trick...

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
I dunno why? your going past the peak power after about 3000 RPM's anyways. It's not going to gain you anything, 'cept maybe a spun con rod bearing, floating valve? There isn't much room for error in the valve train.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dunno why? your going past the peak power after about 3000 RPM's anyways. It's not going to gain you anything, 'cept maybe a spun con rod bearing, floating valve? There isn't much room for error in the valve train.
not necessarily true.
on a non-turbo or a non-intercooled turbo truck that is true. Change the fueling parameters and add the intercooling, the truck takes on a whole new personality. I pull hard all the way to a 4800 redline/gov setting. I used to have the typical power fall-off above 3k rpm until I had my pump redone and the IC put in. Now it pulls hard until I am bouncing off the gov.;Sweet

FordGuy100

Reaction score
hahaha, 5k. That would mean i could do 80 on the freeway again. LOL

With your setup, you should be able to run 90mph, trust me :D.

not necessarily true.
on a non-turbo or a non-intercooled turbo truck that is true. Change the fueling parameters and add the intercooling, the truck takes on a whole new personality. I pull hard all the way to a 4800 redline/gov setting. I used to have the typical power fall-off above 3k rpm until I had my pump redone and the IC put in. Now it pulls hard until I am bouncing off the gov.;Sweet

I hope you mean 3800 rpm's, and yes since the turbo instal, the fall off above 3000rpm's is way less than what it was N/A.

tractorman86

Reaction score
not necessarily true.

4800!!!!! :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :popcorn so when is the next time you are coming through AZ do you run the 10? i'd love to see or hear that!!!