thinking about trading for a '85 f250 6.9L

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
An IP should last 100K miles or much more if you feed it clean water free fuel and it is a well built pump. $490 is a bit on the high side, but not completely out of line. Biodiesel is probably NOT illegal in Texas, but you probably need a fuel tax license/ID. You need to check with the department of revenue. I flew beneath the radar in FL for a few years but I finally decided I should make it strictly legal so nothing really has changed except I pay around 29 cents a gallon in state and local tax. The people at the IRS told me that homebrew biodiesel is not subject to federal excise or highway tax, but that you could also not claim the considerable biodiesel tax credits.

mikhail

Reaction score
http://www.alternative-energy-news.info/biodiesel-banned-texas/
there was another site saying it had been delayed, but that was a year ago. im not positive its banned but this is what i found. it makes since because theres alot of oil down here they want us to depend on. we cant be running on beans.

one thing i wanted to ask, im a little confused on whats biodiesel and whats not.
100% veg oil that hasnt been processed is SVO or just veg oil and not biodiesel and can be used but has to be heated right? i cant remember the temp but in texas during the summer i dont think id even have to heat it since its about 100F usually

biodiesel can be veg oil that has been processed, and processed veg oil mixed with regular petrol-diesel right?

mikhail

Reaction score
i went behind a mexican resturaunt by my house, theres a container marked "grease" is that the same as waste oil? i guess ill need to get some first and see

mikhail

Reaction score
I think I was reading the post from this guy on another forum, if its, then is its just a turbo from a DT466. I dont know if I'd do it. Just keep in mind that most of these old trucks were used and abused so its gonna take some TLC and money to make into a good driver. And Diesel parts cost more than gas parts.

did the post on the other forum have any different pics? He said he had some different ones, but never sent them. I asked him for more pics but now he says he can get anymore until saturday, the day we're supposed to meet. I dont want to drive across town without more detailed pics, i can hardly tell the condition its in besides the rust on the hood.

mikhail

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

this is the turbo he said hes going to install, run a stack and a snorkel on the other side in the bed.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks to big to be a turbo from a IDI turbo kit.
+1

Based on the size and the color, I'm going to venture to guess that the other posters were right and that's a DT466 turbo. Getting that turbo to fit an IDI would not be cost-effective, and even if it was, it'll almost definitely overboost your engine. IMHO that changes the deal to the point where, unless the truck's completely cherry other than the visible surface rust, I think I'd pass...

mikhail

Reaction score
yeah, my parents wont let me anyways. they dont think its a good deal, i guess im going to try selling the b2 and finding a different one.

thanks for all the help though guys, when i get a diesel im definitely comming back to this site.