Thermostat Modification

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
A few years ago when I was using the "other" site a member posted that if you cut the rubber seal ring away from the area of the thermostat that opens it will flow more coolant. So I tried it and felt it did help run cooler because of the increased flow. The coolant has to flow around this rubber seal and its made this way so it has a positive seal when the stat is closed. Seems the metal to metal seal isn't up to *****. Anybody hear anything about this? I will be doing it soon. I'm not having any heating issues but just looking to try differant things and share them here. Gees... Its cheaper than an aluminum radiator but I really want one of those too.... Wants and needs...:D

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
why dont you just drill a hole in the side of it? there are a lot of factory thermostats that just have a hole in the side and a funny brass bobby thing in them to help let the coolant bypass for cooling and also for bleeding air as well. i think if you look at a 2000 jeep 4.0 there thermostats are set up this way. its just a hole that is in the flat part of the thermostat, but if you do it that way make sure the hole is at the top.

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why do you want your engine to run cool?

Diesels need to be HOT, that's where they are most efficient and make the most power. Note that they make an aftermarket 203* thermostat for the PSD's just for that reason.

Our engines are designed to be used in medium duty trucks, they are very lightly loaded in a pickup truck application and don't get warm enough as it is.

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
being N/A, when i get on it my temp guage rises very quickly an didnt even add any extra fuel. plus these IDI's run on the hot side due to the head design...so in my case, any way i can help keep it under control is better.

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
Mine barely gets over 200 with no pressure in the system, and now that my rad don't leak (3 row been reworked twice) I've got a drip near the thermo housing? but still never see over 200!

sassyrel

Reaction score
if a idi overheats--something is wrong somewhere--H2O pump, dirt in block, impeller loose on h2o pump shaft,thermostat,internally collapsed hose--if heads have been off, reversed head gasket-------

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tried this already kinda, I used low temp thermostats and never really got anywhere with it. It didnt make enough heat in the winter to run the heater.
Since I have a REAL gauge now I run 195-210 empty depending on coolant level. It tops out about 220 towing real heavy in the summer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JU57US

Members online