Testing CDR valve?

flybear

Reaction score
I removed my CDR valve to clean it, because I don't know if it was ever done. It has grey paint overspray on it, so I'm guessing it's the original. My question is, how do I know if it's still working correctly? I can EASILY breathe through it in either direction, yet I see a spring inside when I look in the end. Should there be some resistance in one direction? I have some shop service books but they are no help at all. If anyone can help me out, I'd rather not buy a new one if I don't need it.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe they have some rubber in them. Can't be good after all these years...

85hauler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've tested them with a shop vac on the intake side. If the CDR is good you should get no suction on the other end. Is this a valid test:dunno but it has worked for me.

flybear

Reaction score
Well, I used a shop-vac on both ends, and it closed off both ways. I guess unless someone can tell me there's something wrong with it, I'm just going to keep it.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Well , since it's supposed to close above 2000 rpms, I guess someone could tap a vacuum gauge in to the intake and wind it up to 2000 rpm and see what it reads, that should tell you what it should take to close the CDR.
At least it works great on paper :D

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
can one get a CDR valve anywhere or is it a dealer style only item? mine was never replaced and while in doing everything i might as well do it...after all it has been 20 yrs hehe

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
can one get a CDR valve anywhere or is it a dealer style only item? mine was never replaced and while in doing everything i might as well do it...after all it has been 20 yrs hehe

our CDR's are made by AC Delco....yes...it's a GM product:eek:
there's a 18xxxxx number on the back of it. Any ACdelco dealer can get it for you with the number. I usually change mime out every 50k.

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
i found one from Ford...now what about the rest of the CDR set up like the little band clamp and some kind of plastic washer? do they come with the new CDR or can u buy them seperatly.

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
TTT, by the way i got one from Napa but it isnt 100% exact. it doesnt have the wings to bolt it to the intake and the neck on the flat side is longer...it was from a 6.5 heavy chevy. guess its going back

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
Take the CDR out clean it there is a real small hole on the outside of the diaphram.I pull a vacume on it if it holds it is ok. What ur doing is checking the diaphram for leaks.

Evil_Jester

it wont die...
Reaction score
A diesel tech told me once, if u look into the intake and see oil, like alot of oil then you need a new CDR(but this is commin from the guy that forgot to put oil in a 6.0 and tried to go for a drive). Ive also heard you can clean them, but i never heard how.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JU57US

Members online