Temp questions

bigrigdom

Reaction score
okay, so a buddy lets my borrow his 5th wheel travel trailer last weekend and it weighs maybe 5000#'s max. the road to the campground is basically just a bunch of easy ups and downs, nothin real steep untill the last 20 miles or so where its pretty steep and real twisty. well about 20 minutes into the trip I gotta pull over because my temp light comes on(which has become a fairly normal occurance)stock temp gauge is straight up and down. was probly doin 60-65, 3-4#'s of boost and egt's between 500-600. towing pretty easy, not balls out or anything. it really doesnt seem like it should be gettin hot that fast. so I pull over and open my hood and notice that the engine doesnt feel real hot and there isnt any overflow coming out of the radiator. sit for about 5 min. and she cools right down. pull back out and ten min later my dam lights on again. pretty sure at this point that my fan clutch is pooped out cuz i cant ever hear it coming on, but, is there any way that the temp light could be coming on way too soon? because other than that truck doesnt act like it is getting hot at all. planning on installing an aftermarket temp gauge to see whats really goin on but what do you guys all think. thanks fellas.
dominic

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
5k fiver,:confused: mabey on each axle unless it's a small ultralite.

:dunno I think you better check the data plate for the weight on the 5th wheel camper. My 28' bumper pull weighs 8k and most 5th wheels weigh more.

Get a real gauge on it to see what it's really doing and go from there. The factory gauge is nothing but a glorified idiot light.