Tank Replacement

jay22day

Dunce
Reaction score
The "extreme conditions" of metal stretching will NEVER happen with a fuel tank.

Explain how I can kick a metal car door and it dents, when a plastic one pops back out with no sign of damage.

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk

that exactly what "elasticity" is the ability to bend/dent ;Sweet

If you inrease the force of the "kick" the metal will bend and be fine as the palstic will break/crack long before the metal fatigues and breaks/cracks.

the inability to bend is the inability to have "elasticity"

IDK why you ahve to get so bent out of shape (elasticity LOL) jasper the intent isnt to prove you wrong its to make sure the "thread poster" doesnt get incorrect info like "plastic has more elasticity than metal"

RocketScott

Reaction score
Lock it the F down.

This is not what a forum is about.

I don't care about what either of you have to say at this point, it is not helping. Take it to PM.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Lock it the F down.

I don't care about what either of you have to say at this point, it is not helping. Take it to PM.

I agree.
Not sure what this dudes problem is.
Someone gives another option, then all of a sudden everyone else is wrong and he starts trolling.
About o do like the rest and put him on the block list.

Did have a question for you though, was your replacement tank coated with anything on the inside?

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk

jay22day

Dunce
Reaction score
Lock it the F down.

Then its a good thing this isnt your thread. Stop spamming the thread, my posts were on topic COMPLETELY and its important the person who actually started the thread not be given MIS-information.

theres no "trolling here"

Definition:

e·las·tic·i·ty
ēˌlaˈstisədē/
noun
noun: elasticity

the ability of an object or material to resume its normal shape after being stretched or compressed; stretchiness.
"aging can decrease the elasticity of your skin"
synonyms: stretchiness, flexibility, pliancy, suppleness, plasticity, resilience, springiness, give More
"the skin's natural elasticity"
adaptability, flexibility, adjustability, fluidity, versatility
"the elasticity of the term"

the ability of something to change and adapt; adaptability.

I agree.
Not sure what this dudes problem is.
Someone gives another option, then all of a sudden everyone else is wrong and he starts trolling.

this is completely FACT and ONTOPIC information and i would appreciate if you didnt attempt to manipulate it to look other wise 79jasper. Absolutely no "TROLLING" and purely INFORMATIVE

I have no desire to argue and as you'll see all I've done is post "definitions" and informative/helpful and more so completely accurate information. Im sorry that your definiton of "elasticity" is incorrect but you dont have to try to make me out to be "trolling" because you are incorrect.

I really tihnk the Original thread poster woudl appreciate if you guys kept the thread ON TOPIC!

Thanks

RocketScott

Reaction score
I think the word you are looking for is malleability

Google it

Last edited by a moderator:

jay22day

Dunce
Reaction score
rocketscott. Elasticity is completely %100 the word i intended to use, as did i use it correct.

Malleability is a definition that some what surrounds around being able to be hammered/pressed into a shape (or more-so a) sheet.

Malleability is the ability of a metal to be hammered into thin sheets. Gold and silver are highly malleable. When a piece of hot iron is hammered it takes the shape of a sheet. The property is not seen in non-metals.

malleable
[mal-ee-uh-buh l]

Synonyms
Examples
Word Origin

adjective
capable of being extended or shaped by hammering or by pressure from rollers.
adaptable or tractable:
the malleable mind of a child.
Origin
Middle English
Medieval Latin

maybe it could be used in addition to "elasticity" although its not the word i was referencing, but may be sufficient

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To argue that metal is weaker than plastic is just funny LOL

Plastic has almost no "elasticity" as metal does, it will stretch under extreme conditions unlike plastic. dont be fooled by the unexplainable opinion of plastic being stronger

These targeted attacks on other folks don't help. A simple statement that "plastic tanks may not be as impact resistant as metal tanks" would have sufficed.

rpm427

1994 F-350 IDI
Reaction score
Children lets stay on topic here as I'm looking for pros and maybe cons about my decision to change out to plastic tanks as most all the original ones I've seen are about 1/4" thick.Plastic will take a beating and don't worry about the rust not to mention easy to clean as I try and stay on my truck.I'm not in Alaska or in the Egyptian desert and other then haulin something around hardly drive my truck.The issue is the rust and I've read others say that the steel tanks get algae growing in them which the plastic ones might also but I put additive in my fuel once a month and drain filler in filter so just looking for fitment thoughts as seems like everything you buy now days you have to modify it to get it to work or at least it usually works out that way for me!

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just to say a word on fitment, my steel spectra tanks seem spot on and so are the new straps once I got the right ones.

I'll leave with this comment to everyone. There are ways to disagree respectfully.

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
also i deleted those stupid fitting ontop of the tank, thats just regular practice for me now when droppping these tranks, that stock setup is an overcomplicated joke engineered for fast install at the factory

What did you use in place of the fitting? Also, do they make the 3m in non aerosol form? how many cans did it take to do the entire undercarriage?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let's keep it civil. Last and only warning before someone gets a vacation. You've offered your opinions. Now please tell RPM427 where he might find a plastic tank if he wants one.

I've bought metal tanks from Rock Auto and from Ebay and have had no problems with either, but have never bought a plastic one. My Excursion has one (a big one!) and I've dropped it to clean it out. No difference in service procedure in my opinion.