Tach issue.

bignastystacks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck is running fine. No weird idle nothing like that but my tach is not operating right. It is getting power but it is not reading correctly. When I am not in high rpm's it doesnt even read. It will only go up when accelerating after a light or stop sign but drops back to nothing when I reach cruising speed/rpms. I can hear how high its revved from my stacks and it hasnt changed since the gauge stopped working. Could it be a sending unit or something?

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
mine does the same thing! when i had the E4OD in it, it would quit working, the OD light would come on dim and the trans would go limp. i cleaned EVERY ground i could find on the firewall, i came back and was fine. now with the T-19 in the truck the tach will randomly drop to 0 when it goes back to idle, as i start going it'll irraticly start hopping around then work again...:confused:cookoo i do have an extra sensor i could try. and mines the factory tach.

-Jon

WrickM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
couldn't be easier to replace. On my truck (and '87 6.9) it's a large sensor right on the timing gear cover at the front of the engine.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The magnet can accumulate some metal particles, which you can wipe off as sort of a sludge. But more often than not, that won't fix it. It's worth a try though. They tend to get temperature sensitive right before they fail.

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
Mine is the same way, temp sensitive as well. It wont work at all until the motor is a few minutes past operating temps.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
Well, if your truck is a 1993 with the serp. belt, you will need to knock the belt off, remove the vaccuum pump and THEN rempve and replace the sending unit on the timing cover. There is no way to get the new unit in without breaking the wires off the back. I just replaced mine.

bignastystacks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well it is the 93 so it sounds like Ill be battling that damn belt again. I put a new one on when my AC compressor siezed. The new one finally quit sqealing too! Its not a real issue right now so I will probably wait til after this mass of confusion and poverty better known as the holidays ends to replace it.

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
mines a '92 serp belt and i had no removal issues... :dunno guess i'll try the other one, while im at it i'll order one for the scout!

-Jon

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Staff online