t444e out and 7.3 IDI in

jcarr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I posted this in the 7.3 IDI forum but I'm seeing other members here that might be able to help me out.

Got a friend with a 4700 IH with a T444E under the hood. Got a BAD knock so he needs it changed out. He has 2 qty 7.3 IDI's that are in good shape and one of those with only 10k on it.

Problem is are the bell housing patterns the same. I'm pretty sure that the flywheels are NOT the same.

I saw a posting here that said the T444E with a allison behind it was a SAE#3. Is the manual shift the same? What pattern is the 7.3 IDI? Both came out of IH med duty trucks.

Is this going to require extensive tranny work or is it just a matter of changing the 7.3 flywheel and clutch to match the current tranny

jcarr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
found this pic in the market place and if this is a t444e like i think it is then looks like i'm gonna be looking for a transmission.

Attachments

• t444e.jpg
    t444e.jpg
    838.5 KB · Views: 54

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
I thought the T444E and powerstroke were the same long block.. Ford coined the name Powerstroke and International just called it the T444E (turbo'd, 444 cubic inches, electronically driven injection)..the bolt pattern is the same from a 7.3 powerstroke to an IDI, so the T444E should be the same as well.

This article explains the similarities and differences.

Last edited:

jcarr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the pic above looks like a psd but the bell housing i don't think matches. the t444e is in a 4700 IH and the 7.3 came out of either a 17 or 1900 IH

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
From my research and doings, the 7.3 powerstroke zf 5 speed will fit onto an IDI if you use the IDI flywheel (and clutch?). The bellhousing bolt pattern is supposed to be the same between both engines.

jcarr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i guess i need to verify what trans i'm dealing with. most likely a spicer. i think its a 96 or 97 model. maybe i'll go by and see which tranny is in it. the idi pattern just looked different.

jcarr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought the T444E and powerstroke were the same long block.. Ford coined the name Powerstroke and International just called it the T444E (turbo'd, 444 cubic inches, electronically driven injection)..the bolt pattern is the same from a 7.3 powerstroke to an IDI, so the T444E should be the same as well.

This article explains the similarities and differences.

While that article covered a lot. I think I need to make myself clear. T444E is coming out 7.3 IDI going in NOT a 7.3 PSD. I'm talking a pre-stroker motor.

jcarr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just noticed pic I found above is of a auto shift varity not the manual. So of course the bell housing pattern is going to be different.

Captain Morgan

Pipeline Mechanic
Reaction score
I was trying to tell you that you need a SAE #3 flywheel housing (it isn't a bell housing when it is attached to the block.) I can give you exact measurements on the #3 I just had a custom SAE #2 to #3 adapter machined for a recent repower, I am very familiar with them.

Your 7.3L is going to have to bolt to the #3 transmission somehow or you will be swapping transmissions. You are also going to have to find a mechanical truck to get the throttle assembly from because the electronic pedal wont work. I have access to a complete 7.3L powered IH and parts could be had from it.

My question is why? Just rebuild the one that is in it, it will be cheaper easier and a more powerful engine to boot.

spg

Big Red
Reaction score
Look at the back of the actual block on each motor. Medium duty trucks have a rear engine mount between the engine and bellhousing. Seems like rebuilding the T444E would be the better choice. At least find out what is wrong with it first.

jcarr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
T444E knocks very badly, has a loss of power and lots of coolant in the oil. My friend would rather have the IDI motor for simplicity. Its in a milk truck that avg about 100 miles a month. No need for big power just toodles around a couple of small towns.