Suspension questions

dsblack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an 85 300SD.
When I have my 3 kids in the back the car seems to all but drag in the back, There is also a lot of "roll" going into corners. I am not real happy with the handline of this car.

Is this normal? Or is something in need of being replaced. I have already converted it to WVO, but now to make it a little better to drive if possible!

thanks
Doug

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The "roll" is normal to a point...but, it's more perceived than actual. I'm not sure why they were designed this way, but these cars tend to feel like they're rolling a lot more than they actually are...and, once you get past that point, it's surprising how much these cars can safely handle.

As to the sagging...I'm not certain. My 123 sags some, but I don't believe it's that bad...but a 126 suspension is at least somewhat softer. Or, the springs or shocks could be unhappy...

Hopefully someone with more experience in the 126 chassis can add some info on that, but I wouldn't be too worried.

Any pics of the car? :D You got an '85 126...I'm envious...

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just a quick word of advice......do not atempt to take apart the rear suspension without the mbz spring compressor in place. This is a real deadly experience for the average shade tree mech. As far as the boady roll is concerned, it "feels" like it more due to the independant rear suspension. You could find a AMG car with larger sway bars, but often the cars only have the wheels and skirts rather than the whole suspension kit.

dsblack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is an AMG car?

I will try and get some pic's. It is a Maroon color. And runs well after being warmed up.
Sounds like the rear suspension will be left to the pro's if I do anything about it. It is my commute car so i am in it alone, or with 1 other persone 90% of the time.
It is a CA model, but seems like a OK car.

Doug

Meta6981

Reaction score
Lets see... I have had my W126 loaded with 5 people and a trunk full of drinks and lawn chairs it did well, you have to watch out for steep driveways and sudden dips but over all it remained pretty regular. But I have never had constant dragging. Maybe a little scrape on the spare wheel well or exhaust pipe here and there. But when I was fully loaded I took it up a curvey steep road here, hwy 17 and it did really well considering I had all the wieght in there. But when its just me I can do some pretty wicked handleing. THese cars handle really well for full size as long as you know you vehicle and its limitations. I am goign to have to say it sounds like you rear suspension is going. Also what all do you have in the trunk??? Or are you new to the car? because if so they tend to have squishy seats which might make the illusion thats its hanging low. One mmore thing it is a pretty soft suspension to begain with i can go over speed bumps and hardly feel them.

Last edited:

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My son has an 81 300sd and the car had the wrong shocks on it . We got him new ones for xmas and what a difference. They are the bilstiens for the application ,got 2 from auto parts warehouse and the others from another online store, sorry crs kicking in. Go with the stiffer ones if there is an option. These cars are HEAVY. ;Sweet

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance