1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sudden Unexplained No-Start

Discussion in '911 Diesel Down!' started by ormgott, Dec 1, 2020.

1. ormgott

ormgott Registered User

My '86 F250 with '92 7.3 has stumped me... Now it's stumped the repair shop. -cuss Was running perfectly, then just wouldn't start. So I replaced the lift pump with electric and that didn't work. Replaced the IP and got fuel where it's supposed to be but still no joy. I get some pressure through the exhaust but also through the intake along with fuel vapor. I gave in at that point and took it to a shop with knowledge of that model/engine. Now they're saying they are stumped as well, and a complete teardown is prohibitively expensive. Anybody have ideas? :wtf:

Last edited: Dec 1, 2020
  2. Dane Rickford

Dane Rickford Full Access Member

This might be a no brained question, but I know it happens to me. Is the Fuel shut off solenoid wire hooked to the ip?

3. ormgott

ormgott Registered User

Yes to fuel shutoff working. Fuel is getting to the injectors. Zero response to fuel or safe use of starting fluid. Batteries and starter are full up to snuff as well.

4. Dane Rickford

When the pump was replaced, was the Timing gear cover removed with the pump?

it sounds like your timing gear may be of a tooth or two

Danielle likes this.
  5. ormgott

ormgott Registered User

Pump was pulled clear of the gear and new pump aligned and slid into gear when installing, and engine/transmission weren't moved. I'd suspect a cam misalignment with the apparent compression release through the intake but can't see any way for that to happen.

6. ormgott

ormgott Registered User

If it was just the pump timing gear being off I'd think it would still respond to some extent to ether

7. Dane Rickford

It could be cam misalignment. Like you said, I don’t see how that would happen though

8. Dane Rickford

Hopefully some more people will chime in their ideas too

9. Philip1

Philip1 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Are you getting any smoke when you crank it over? If yes check glowplugs and starter for proper operation (make sure the starter is spinning fast enough). If no you are likely not getting enough fuel through the ip to fire the injectors. These engines still need fuel to be injected to attempt to fire even with either.

The Gill Fish likes this.
  10. ormgott

ormgott Registered User

Starter and batteries are good. Glow plugs are good. As I said earlier there's lots of fuel fog in the intake when cranking. Also feel airflow coming up from intake. Some fuel fog from exhaust as well.

11. riphip

riphip Supporting Member Supporting Member

Do you still have the water separator on the truck? If so, have you pulled the ring lately?

12. gandalf

gandalf Senior Member

What was the last work you had done to the truck before this problem started?

13. ormgott

ormgott Registered User

No recent work done to engine prior that I know of. Bought truck about 2 months ago. Started and ran fine for several weeks. Got in one day and cranked it over, fingers slipped off the key. Went to start it and perfect crank but no fire from then til now. Fresh filter.

14. gandalf

gandalf Senior Member

You changed the fuel filter? Did you fill the new filter before you installed it? If not you have a lot of air to work through the injectors before they get any fuel. If that is the case you'll probably have to charge your batteries several times before it fires.

When you're cranking the engine crank for only 20 seconds, then let the starter cool for a couple minutes. The starter is fighting a high compression in that engine, and having to work itself hard. It will overheat and burn out if it gets too hot.

Danielle likes this.
  15. ormgott

ormgott Registered User

Did a full bleed of the system. Injectors are spraying plenty of fuel.