Strange grinding

Jbevs

IDI Newb
Reaction score
My truck seems to have a strange grinding issue while idling. It is somewhat intermitent (reminds me of something boiling), but I can feel it through the floorboards. It is not noticable while driving, but I am getting a somewhat loud hammering at 2k rpm and up (I'm thinking timing here). Is this possibly a lubrication or oil contamination issue? My first thought was it was the water pump going out (which was already a known issue), but it still remains after a new(ish) water pump was installed. The oil doesn't really smell like diesel either. Can anyone offer some insight to this please?:dunno

Also what do people like for gauges (brands, etc)?

gatorman21218

Reaction score
no Idea But I recommend Stewart warner gauges. A little pricey but have a real good reputation with OTR Drivers

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
Is the grinding related to the hammering? The intermittent grinding you're describing makes me thing gear rollover noise.

Jbevs

IDI Newb
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with the term gear rollover. The hammering is not related unless the noise is attributed to the timing being too advanced (?). It was thrown in because it could be related, though I have noticed one. The hammering also is not new, though neither is the grinding, I think I just notice it more.

Edit: Google educated me on gear rollover noise, and the grinding is still present with the clutch pressed in. So I would say it is not gear rollover.

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
yeah dude... more than once, we've taken the inspection plate off and found a piece of spring.

check it out, loosing a DMF is not a happy time.

Jbevs

IDI Newb
Reaction score
So is losing a spring a sign thats it's about to fully let go? If it does, what kind of damage am I looking at?

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
I've seen them be 90% screwed up for a long time.... I've also heard of them breaking without seeming screwed up.... kinda a crap shoot.

If it breaks, it takes out the ZF5 bellhousing, which is integral with the trans case.... as such you either need a new trans ($500-$2000 used/new).
Geonc had one break and was able to weld the case back together.

SMF kit is around $700, might not be a bad idea to keep them in mind for the future. If you intend to keep the truck for a long time I'd replace it. Otherwise I think in the IDI tech articles there is a thread on how to make your DMF into a Single.... Mel and many other have had good luck with this, look into it.

Also, I'm not condemning your flywheel, just mentioning things based on my experience.

Drew

Jbevs

IDI Newb
Reaction score
Hmm, it doesn't sound as bad as others I've heard, but I guess that doesn't mean much. I suppose I need to start looking at fixing the dmf.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
REM70

Members online

No members online now.