Stock Power Levels & Clutch Questions

rebel_horseman

Rt. Wing Extremist
Reaction score
I have a couple of question for ya'll.

1. How do I tell which engine program I have. I know in '01 the 7.3 with teh 6-speed had 275hp and 525 ft-lb at some point, but I don't know where teh cut-off came. My truck is an '01 but I don't know if I have the 275hp or the 235hp motor. The tag on the valve cover is blocked by the intercooler tube, so it's gonna be hard to look at the tag, but I think someone once said the truck may have the 275 program but still havea 235 tag. Any clues? If I have the 235hp engine, can I get the dealer to retune it for 275hp?

2. How much hp can I safely run with a stock clutch? My truck has almost 61k on the stock clutch (never been towed with and hardly driven), and I'm thinking hard about getting an Edge Evo or Juice/Attitude combo to bump the fun-factor. Looking to see if I"m going to have to swap the clutch out if I get the programmer and run it on the 80hp setting. Thoughts?

Thanks,

Brian [><]

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Brian,

I'm not real well versed on the cut off dates pertaining to when and where the 235 turned into 275 hp. But you should be able to look on your PCM and that will tell you which code your truck was sent out with. You have a sloid flywheel in your model year truck so I wouldnt be afraid of putting the torque to it, at least not with an Edge. If you were changing injectors, running a 140 hp multi-position chip and some drugs you might have to consider the drivetrain, but you should be alright with a simple programmer.

With all that said, I think if you determine that you really are at 235 stock HP, I wouldnt mess around with a programer or seeing if you can change your PCM code, just call one of the chip programmers like TS, tell them how you want the truck to perform and let them write you a program for a multi position chip and plug it in and be happy.

Mike

Dieselmaster

Diesel addict
Reaction score
I wouldn't really worry about the clutch at all... SuperF350 was running a stock clutch and 6-speed for a long time and he was doing tractor pulls and such. When he did dyno it he was putting down something like 350-375hp which isn't much considering what the Dodges put out but he never complained about clutch problems as far as I can remember....

I would be more concerned with the PMR's (powder metal rods) that your year has...

To much power, and/or the use of drugs will put a picture window in your block. And you won't like the view out of it...

Dieselmaster

Diesel addict
Reaction score
but I think someone once said the truck may have the 275 program but still havea 235 tag.

I thought that it was the other way around, that some 2000's were badged with the 235hp sticker and were really 275hp... but I have been wrong before...

According to most that I have read the 2001 was a 275hp motor when combined with the 6-speed tranny. I would guess the other thing to look at is manufacture date to when your born on date is.... if to close to the switch date then look for more info. But, I think that you most likely have a 275hp motor.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7