steering colum question

jonathan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i put a new ignition switch in and now when i turn the key it doent do any thing.its like the key turns super easy. does that mean that pot metal thing is broken?

nyteshades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's been awhile.....but if I remember right, the holes for the bolt are elongated on the switch. So you have to loosen up the switch and move the switch to match the key. You also have to make sure the position of the rod matches the position of the switch. Like for instance, I think the rod actually pulls the switch back to go into ACC...so off would be the second position from the top, not the first. I also think the switch is spring load for the starter circuit.....like I said, it's been awhile since I've messed with them.

jonathan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's been awhile.....but if I remember right, the holes for the bolt are elongated on the switch. So you have to loosen up the switch and move the switch to match the key. You also have to make sure the position of the rod matches the position of the switch. Like for instance, I think the rod actually pulls the switch back to go into ACC...so off would be the second position from the top, not the first. I also think the switch is spring load for the starter circuit.....like I said, it's been awhile since I've messed with them.

thanks i changed the box that a bunch of wires pluged into

papastruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup, saved me once. I paste it for anyone who has a remotely similar issue. Glad it helps. :thumbsup:

jonathan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i just printed all of the ford steering column instructions from that site. now i wont to rebuild the column

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk

Members online