Starting troubles

flatlander

plays dirty when losing
Reaction score
TDT had an intermittent starting problem. Some times it'd turn over, sometimes not. When it didn't, I'd just jump the solenoid with a pair of channel locks.

Now it won't turn over with the key at all.

I want to rule out the neutral safety switch. Anyone know which wires and if I can jumper them out to bypass it?

If that's not it, anyone know how to replace the ignition switch? Or is it easier to swap in a new column? I need to do that anyway since the tilt wheel is shot.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you have issues with your tilt column, you have found your starting issues. Just to double check, drop your column down and remove the slider switch. use a small phillips screwdriver and insert into the hole where the acutator rod goes into. You should be able to work the slider and have the electrical work the way its supposed to. BUT.....if there is any play between the pot metal base and plastic top to the switch.....REPLACE THE SWITCH IMMEADIATELY. The looseness will lead to electrical arcing and you will have a fire under your dash. This is the #2 cause of our trucks burning to the ground. the headlight switch is #1.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Barney, I have a non-tilt 84' column I'd give you for the cost of shipping.