starting swap

Badassford23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK so in the next couple of week I'm going to start my diesel swap In place of a 351. My question is do I have to change the plate or brackets on the crossmember for the 7.3 and can I use powerstroke one

89dieselbko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IF you are using a 7.3 idi *i assume you are* you have to change the brackets

Your 351 mounting plates are just behind the Cross member and the 7.3 mounts sit ON the Xmember *holes are all drilled*

Only problem you will have is the driver side front most bolt for the plate is sitting in the middle of the Xmember hole for your gassers oil filter....

i just ran into this with my swap, also 7.3 idi. Actually this weekend going to just change out my Xmember with one made for the D50 and 7.3 combo that i put on my bronco anyways :)

Hope that helps, you can either weld up that oil filter hole, or i was just going to let it be a hole. 7/8 motor mount plates were secure figured good enough for me :)

DOE-SST

1994 E350
Reaction score
I'd love to hear any and all comments about doing this swap.

I'm seriously considering putting a 7.3 IDI into a box van that has a 351.

It would be just myself doing all the work.

I have plenty of shop tools and skills.

What I'm missing is the knowledge of someone who has already done this, and can point out the pitfalls before I hit them.

Thanks.

89dieselbko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will try to get some pictures this weekend, im working pipelines south of pittsburgh a touch over 2 hours from home so when i get home between my wife/kids/bronco i never get around to it

i bought a camera other day though so at least thats taken care of, but yeah if i can remember to i will

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online