Starter shenanigans...

BioFarmer93

OPEC Hater
Reaction score
Does anyone know if there are two different thicknesses of spacer plate that can fit between a ZF5 and an IDI? The reason I ask is that the shop that sleeved my engine lost that spacer (that the starter mounts on). At the time I took the engine to them, I didn't realize that it was a separate piece- that tidbit wasn't clear to me until I had the truck towed to a transmission place because I couldn't get the trans to line up right with the engine. (Giant hindsight DUUUHHH!)
Anyway, they located one, installed it and bolted everything up. I installed the starter yesterday and it spins but the gear wouldn't pop out to engage the ring gear so I took it up to O'reilly's as a core and got a gear reduction starter... It was too big and wouldn't fit because of the cross member being too close. I took that one back and swapped it for one identical to the original one ('95 7.3 style) and installed it. Now this one just spins and spins with no engagement. SO- did I get a bad one right out of the box, or is the spacer plate from who-knows-where too thick?:confused:

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
This is an adapter plate to adapt the Ford transmission bolt pattern to the International bolt pattern on the block. I haven't personally ran into this. It may be possible that one from a 7.3psd may be a different thickness. Maybe they installed the wrong one? The plate behind an idi is steel while the one for the psd is aluminum. That's an easy way to tell. Was your starter bad right out of the box? Could be. Once I tried to put a new thermostat in a 302 I was putting in my 1984 Mustang. The first one was stuck closed, the second one was stuck open slightly. It finally took a third thermostat to get one that worked right so, yes, it's possible.

BioFarmer93

OPEC Hater
Reaction score
This is an adapter plate to adapt the Ford transmission bolt pattern to the International bolt pattern on the block. I haven't personally ran into this. It may be possible that one from a 7.3psd may be a different thickness. Maybe they installed the wrong one? The plate behind an idi is steel while the one for the psd is aluminum. That's an easy way to tell. Was your starter bad right out of the box? Could be. Once I tried to put a new thermostat in a 302 I was putting in my 1984 Mustang. The first one was stuck closed, the second one was stuck open slightly. It finally took a third thermostat to get one that worked right so, yes, it's possible.

Yes, the rust establishes it as steel- LOL I wouldn't necessarily say it adapts- all the bolts go through from trans to block, but the starter does mount directly on it.

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, the rust establishes it as steel- LOL I wouldn't necessarily say it adapts- all the bolts go through from trans to block, but the starter does mount directly on it.

Not all the bolts. The top two are where the adapting takes place. 2 on each side go through into the block. The top has bolts that go into the block through the adapter only, then the top trans bolts go into the plate.

You say the starter you are trying to use is a 95 7.3 style? Is that correct? Psd starter shouldn't work. Was it there before and worked?

BioFarmer93

OPEC Hater
Reaction score
Not all the bolts. The top two are where the adapting takes place. 2 on each side go through into the block. The top has bolts that go into the block through the adapter only, then the top trans bolts go into the plate.

You say the starter you are trying to use is a 95 7.3 style? Is that correct? Psd starter shouldn't work. Was it there before and worked?

I stand corrected- thank you. Apparently this starter is able to be used on both, and is visually identical to the one that worked so well (before it quit) that I took off. It's a Mitsubishi like this one-
You must be registered for see images attach
and is supposed to work on the earliest 6.9 to a '94 (and maybe '95) 7.3. I do not possess personal knowledge that this is true, though. The manager at O'reillys did some digging and told me that it was a '95 PSD starter after I brought back the big gear reduction starter that didn't fit into the allocated space..

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting, got a part number for that starter you bought?

Looks nothing like the starters I have.

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also, this style worked well on this replacement engine adapter?

BioFarmer93

OPEC Hater
Reaction score
Interesting, got a part number for that starter you bought?

Looks nothing like the starters I have. Also, this style worked well on this replacement engine adapter?

It's an Ultima starter, (Mitsu) 17578 Which I just Googled and found it to be for a '97 PSD.

Do the starters you have, have a hood over half of the gear?

It bolted up sweetly to the adapter, zero fuss.

BioFarmer93

OPEC Hater
Reaction score
These kind of shenanigans sound cruel and tragic. Which wouldn't make them shenanigans, at all, really.

True, but just think of it as the PG version of f***ery.. Actually your reply forced me to look it up, turns out that the word has a little darkside also- "secret or dishonest activity or maneuvering" -which may not technically apply, but if nothing else there is some lackadaisicality happening at a couple of places along the way! LOL

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do the starters you have, have a hood over half of the gear?
Some do, some don't. Our old one was a Mitsu planetary gear reduction and it had the nose cone. The new one is the Nippondenso (IIRC) design with the offset gear reduction and it does not have a nose cone. It is also shorter and thus would have little issue fitting behind the crossmember. But then again, the monster Mitsu didn't have fitment issues either.

The adapter plate should be around 1" thick where the starter bolts up to it. May wanna check that.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the plate for the IDI's are all the same, the PSD starter will not work, no way no how. they are 1 inch shorter. the idiot at your local store is going by looks, not actual function. BTDT.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726