Starter Relay Question

TLBREWER

Windy B Ranch
Reaction score
So what's the signs of a starter relay going bad? Had to T/S by myself since there was no one around to hit the starter (ignition switch) for me. Batteries are good, but when you hit the key, it acts like they are almost dead. When I jumper from the battery to the output post on the relay, turns over fine. The ignition switch itself is relatively new so I have doubts as to that being the problem. But that may be false trust. Throw out some ideas.

A little background.

With no more kids in the house and the economic hard times, my wife and I thought it unnecessary to insure, maintain, and fuel four vehicles (3 of which are diesel trucks) so the truck in question has not been driven in probably a little over a year. We've only been driving the Duramax and I use my old beater Caravan for commuting to work. Now it has gotten to the point where Carla has had to get a job outside the house. Hence I am getting her truck up to speed so we don't put so many miles on the Duramax.

Today I started replacing injector return lines. The lines had only been on the truck for a little over three years, but when I got it started, almost every one leaked. I got the drivers side done today. Upon removal and inspection, 7 of the 8 "O" rings were deteriorated in some way. Deterioration that I would expect if they were 8 or 10 years old with 100K miles on them. Not 3 years old with maybe 15K miles on them.

Also on the list of things to do. Install the turbo I bought for it two years ago, but never seem to have the time for. Troubleshoot and fix the cruise control. Replace all the brake lines with a set of stainless ones. Possibly replace the body mount bushings with a set of poly's. Possibly install an electric fuel pump since I can't seem to get the stock mechanical one to stop leaking oil at it's mounting point. I'm sure there's more...

Tom

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pull the thin wire off the small post of the starter relay, then jump that small post with the big one where all the fatter wires are bolted on - this triggers the relay like the ignition switch should do, but it also bypasses the actual ignition switch and associated wiring. If that works good and truck starts fine then you got a problem in the ignition switch or one of the wiring harnesses. If the engine still turns over weak, you need a new relay.