Starter has me buffaloed..Help

ACBill

Bill Gibson
Reaction score
Evening-
My starter wouldn't turn over every time.Sometimes it would go fine & sometimes it would just click (at the starter not at the relay).So I have done the following and still have the same problem.
1-Replaced the starter with a new Mitsubishi
2-Replaced the positive battery cable with an almost new one from my donor truck
3-Cleaned & reset both neg battery cables
4-Tried 3 different relays (on the firewall)
5-Tried 3 different small wires from relay to starter
6-The batteries both read 13.5 volts -although I don't have a load tester they should be all right -crank the engine like crazy when it's not clicking.
7-I can take the small wire off the relay and hook it direct to the battery using a starter remote switch-same result sometimes start someimes no start.
I'm cold & tired & frustrated ! Can anyone give me a clue as to what next to check ?

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I would have two suggestions, both involve grounds. I had all kinds of ground problems on my truck until I installed extra ground straps. I would also clean and check the ground cables where they attach to the block and you might want to even test for resistance. Cables seem to corrode inside and while they generally look ok, they might be bad internally. You might even try hooking a jumper cable from the negative on your battery to the case of your starter. Make sure you get a good connection and try it. Might be a ground problem at the relay as well. Sounds like you have about covered everything else.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
NEW starter or rebuilt?, if it a normal rebuild the solenoid on the starter could be and is probably faulty.
Most aotu parts rebuilts are rebuilt solenoids:puke: . The soleniod grounds thru the brushes on the starter when it sees power to crank so if it is weak it will act up. dead winding on armature can cause this but not to common.
Also as was already said, check grounds and add one to the fender to engine or battery. But you said even when jumping directly to batt same clicky clicky , my guess is solenoid.:backoff
let us know
Russ

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Also as was already said, check grounds and add one to the fender to engine or battery. But you said even when jumping directly to batt same clicky clicky , my guess is solenoid.:backoff
let us know
Russ

I figured when he said jumped from battery, he was doing the usual positive side only, which would still not eliminate a ground problem, maybe should have been more clear. These trucks are known for ground issues, and if I read correctly, you are on the second starter and third solenoid. I can't imagine you having that bad of luck!!! :)

adrianspeeder

USAF C-17 Avionics
Reaction score
Very common for the ground wire to corrode so check that out at the frame and block connection. If it doesn't kick over when you direct 12v to the fender relay, leave it hooked up and follow with a meter or test light to make sure the power is making it down to the starter.

Adrianspeeder

84TD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am not trying to say anything about your skills and the only reason I thought of this is the first time I changed a starter in one of these I did it.... On the soliniod there are 3 lugs and only two wires... the small went to the top lug and you cant confuse the bigone :)