started the head gaskets! wow what a process :/

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score

93fordturbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is removing the pump a must? I an going back at her in a couple hours. Wish I could get it done tonight... Doubt it tho

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are talking about the IP, yes. You will need to remove that to get the intake manifold and valley pan off.
When taking the IP off, do not remove the entire gear drive assembly. Take the front cover off near oil filler and remove 3 bolts.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes there is bolts on both the front and back of IP gear cover. They will need to be removed. It can be a little tricky but I managed to get mine off with an open end wrench.

93fordturbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is that all I have to mark? The cover and pump? Do I have to worry about timing issues? I also have arp studs, so can I leave them in? Or do I need to take them out? Also, where can I find a sequence for the torquing of the heads?

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Make a scribe mark on the timing gear cover and IP so the timing remains the same when you put it back on. You should remove the studs to clean the block surface better. You will likely have to remove one or more of the rear studs with the heads when removing them anyways (due to tight clearances). A manual will have all the sequences of torque specs for the heads.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There also pics on internet on how torque the bolts down. For some reason, I am having a hard time attaching one for you.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hopefully that attachment works for you guys. Knowing you already have streched arp headstuds, you could probably go up to 85 ft/lbs or higher. I am not sure. I would contact the arp company just to make sure if nobody else knows.

remington88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
nope sure didnt use a lift. i should have for sure cant keep abusing my body like i do. but i guess its holding up just fine so far. but i am lucky i didnt hurt myself

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Intake hat is the thing that goes from turbo outlet to intake manifold on the ATS kits.

I pulled the engine, don't know which was harder, doing that or doing everything in frame LOL

I think pulling will be alot easier an doing studs in frame is not recommended . Also yes I would wait an have the heads checked waste of gaskets an time once put back together with a cracked head!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online