started the head gaskets! wow what a process :/

93fordturbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Kind of contemplating taking whole motor out. I have it down to the heads, and one is loose. Manifold are off, I'm having a hell of a time... Seriously contemplating pulling whole motor. in a month I will have more money, and be able to do everything right. Plus re wire that damn thing lol...looks pretty shoddy whoever did it

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It would be easier to put the heads back on if the engine was out of the truck and on a stand. The heads will need to be on a hoist if the engine is staying in truck to prevent damages to the head gaskets when putting them back on. I plan on leaving my engine in the truck when I get to doing what you are doing one of these days.

93fordturbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Still struggling worth the fact that I just want it running again soon lol, and when I have more money fully tear it down

91idi

Fiberglass *****
Reaction score
I have changed 4 sets of heads in truck. I did one on a stand but it wasn't much easier thanks to me being use to the other.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm a fan of pulling the engine for heads/gaskets. IMHO, it's easier that way especially with studs.

The studs should not be torqued down in the block, just tight enough to seat them fully into the threads. It is normal for a few to come loose as you untorque the heads by reversing the factory sequence.... no more than a 1/4 turn at a time. If you just start loosening the nuts on the studs randomly, you can warp/crack the head.

Also, when you are done, you should repeat the 80 ft/lb step (4th in the torque sequence) until not a single nut on the studs moves when applying the 80 ft/lbs of torque. If any of them move, repeat the sequence again.

Get a tube of ARP's fastner lubricant and coat the snot out of the threads, washers, and nuts before torquing them down.

Heath

93fordturbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It looks like one of the valves is stuck, looks looks I'm pulling the motor and rebuilding everything, just want to be sure everything is done right

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I'm sure if you could post a picture of what you're talking about with that valve, one of these good fellers can confirm the problem. And we all like pics anyways. But if you're too busy, don't worry about.

93fordturbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually the valve came back up. I tapped all of them lightly with a rubber hammer and they all seem to work. When I pulled the head off... By myself! Lol :/... A pre cup came out. I pushed it back in the head and its flush and staying. Do these need to be pressed by a machine shop?

ah1988ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is a link to everything about rebuilding the heads it is from the ford shop manual, you have to click on the image and click again to get them full page size.
All of the specs and steps are there tq. clearances everything If you have a shop do your heads you may want to print thoes out to give to them as referance. I have learned this the hard way they say they caan do it and know how to do it but they are wag it .

http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?58782-Cylinder-head-and-valves&highlight=head

Last edited:

93fordturbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do the pre cups need to be pressed back into block? i will try to get some picturesof the head soon. see how computer savvy i am :/

93fordturbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well... I guess the bracket holding the turbo has to come off. I can't break the bolts loose, don't know what to do now.getting beyond frustrated

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online