Stacks

cat3176

Reaction score
I know this has probably been gone over berfore but I need someone else opinion. The wife is no help what so ever. She just keeps telling me I dont need them but I think she is crazycookoo . Ive been looking at the grandrock stack kits with the turnout stacks:thumbsup: . I just don't have alot of money to throw at this and dont know of any other options other than making my own:dunno . If you have any good ideas I would like the help. Thanks

rebel_horseman

Rt. Wing Extremist
Reaction score
Really depends on how much power you're putting out and how much farther you're intending to go power wise. If you're planning on super high power levels then you'll eventually need an upgrade to the exhaust. If you're planning on staying closer to stock levels then use the money for a set of gauges and a straight pipe. If you do need the upgrade, go with a regular 4" system. Stacks are only necessary when you're running DHRA because you will get DQed for clouding out the tree when you leave. If you're towing a travel trailer or a horse trailer the front of it will be covered in soot eventually with stacks.

cat3176

Reaction score
Well Im thinking id like to have about 400 horse or more. But the main reason I was even considering stacks is because the guy I bought the truck from had cut the muffler-tail pipe assembly off. So there is only straight pipe from the turbo back and it stops right at the front of the bed. But I'm really thinking gauges first, but I know I need a pyro gauge, but since this is my very first diesel pickup I dont know what gauges I really need? Thankyou for your help and any more suggestions would help greatly. Thanks

Whit

Reaction score
Just go down to yer local truck shop and get what ya need

just make sure you buy the divided "Y" so yer smoke will be equal twweenthe stacks

also If I were to do it again I would build my own header box from some square tubing and fit that tween the bed and frame rails

rebel_horseman

Rt. Wing Extremist
Reaction score
On our trucks you need a pyro as a bare minimum. A boost gauge is nice to have too so you know how hard your working the intake side of things plus they're fun to watch. If you've got an automagic then you'll need a transmission temperature gauge, which is even more important when towing. The last gauge that is common is a tachometer since from the factory these trucks didn't come with one.

Like Whitmore said, if'n you're really set on stacks then you may be much better off getting your supplies from your nearest truck stop.