Solid front alxe with coils?

Bunookana

Reaction score
If I was to swap a solid front axle into a 4x2 to make it a 4x4, would it be worth the hassle to use the original coils or should I go ahead and put in leaf springs. I know coils rid better but I haven't seen that setup on the IDI.

I may have a donor f-250 4x4 that should have eveything I need to give my truck 4x4 and A/C.

I have the tools and know how to swap it all, maybe even fab up some brackets! I'm kinda excited....

international

Drownin' in diesel
Reaction score
I am wondering the same thing. I would love to keep my front coils and slide in a solid axle. I think maybe a four link setup would be the solution but I haven't seen a setup that would be an easy fab/install. Anyone have any recommendations?

jperecko

Diesel Ape
Reaction score
It is very possible but will take a good amount of doing and thinking. The best option is likely a triangulated 4-link setup but that takes some experience to do correctly. The simplest option is probably a radius arm setup with a panhard bar.

Unless you have some other compelling reason, it kinda defeats the purpose of a SAS IMO. I like the concept of simple as dirt leaves. The only real wear point are spring bushings and anything else just incorporates a whole 'nother set of complications.

timothyr1014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been researching this for awhile as I really would like to do a 4x conversion, but I also really like my ride the way it is (and being that she gets about 4k/mo on her confort is important). On one of the boards (I think it was FTE) one of the guys used a d60 and a set of rear leafs. The rear mounts were not an issue, but the front required extending the frame a bit. The modified truck was a f350 cc dually, and he said it rode signifigantly better than his factory 4x4 F250 ext cab.

If I can dig up the thread I believe there were a few member that witnessed/rode in it and all claimed it was the way to go if you were willing to do the frame extension.

Personally I would love to keep the coils, it just seems like a heck of a lot of work, and more places for something to break.

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think a good place to start would be to see how the bronco guys go about doing it. I think a lot of them keep their coils when they swap in the solid front axle.

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
look at late 70s ford trucks and broncos, all the half ton trucks have coil frt ends with solid frt axles.

77f250diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here you go..........
You must be registered for see images
[/IMG]

I went with coils for the same reason you guys want them, they give a nice ride.

Dennis

Bunookana

Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys. I am even considering using coils, stock radius arms, and D44 IFS, just like a bronco. I don't do anything serious. I just need 4x4, so that might be the cheapest option.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys. I am even considering using coils, stock radius arms, and D44 IFS, just like a bronco. I don't do anything serious. I just need 4x4, so that might be the cheapest option.

F250 and F150 axles are different length and mount in different locations. I would look carefully at what would fit if you have a 2wd and are converting.

The SAS is the best way to go. The other swing axles AKA independent axles are not all that good and have proven weaknesses.

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
u have a few options, a 70s F150/bko dana 44 with a 8 lub swap will work, and its almost a bolt in. u can also find an older dana 44 with the weld on triangles n weld up em to a dana 60 so u can use the 70s half ton arms, coils, buckets, etc...all u need a is a lil spacer between the Cs and radius arms. over ion pirate4x4 there is a dfew threads talkin abut this. if nothing else its a good read.

or u can go the tried and ture route of a leaf sprung axle. i know with my 93 that i SAS'd it rides awsome but its only a biddy 300 I6 not an IDI. superlift coils are pretty stiff so id imagine they'd be ok to use under the weight of an IDI (MINE are 4" superlifts from a 70s half ton). u can also use ur stock TIB upper coil towers or rob em from the 70s half ton, F-250 (LIKE the brick nose body style) shock towers, and 70s radius arms, brackets n F-350 solid axle steering and that is pretty much it except for some minor trimming, a few new holes and a track bar bracket ur set.

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The F150 44ttb will bolt in in place of the 2wd tib setup, but, you need to go to chevy stuff to go 8 lug on it, and even with that you are downgrading the size of all the front brake components.
Best bet is a 60 with a radius arm setup.
I'm pretty sure you can buy the weld on wedges for the stock 70's ones, bronco graveyard maybe.
I prefer the Cage style arms that mimc the 05+ setup with 2 bolted bushings at the axle from a simplicity point of view.
This is a decent example: http://www.tbaec.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=3856

jam0o0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you can get/ make leaves that ride well. and i sure as sh*t have ridden in some terrible riding coil sprung trucks. do your homework on spring rates and you can make any type ride well.

one thing you can't do is make the 44TTB front ends steer well or last. if you get alignments 3 times a year and replace all the bushings and joints every 30k miles you might be able to live with it. anything less and you will be having a hard time keeping the truck in a lane. o and expect you tires to last half as many miles on TTB as they do on a maintained solid axle.

i put a d60 in my bronco ('95 coil spring truck). i used soft lift coils for a 79 bronco. built radius arms. it works great for what i want but it wouldn't work at all for a road driven diesel truck.

triangulated 4 links DONT fit in the front of these trucks. unless you want a lot of lift and no uptravel. and by a lot i mean 8+ inches. plus triangulated 4 links don't work with draglink steering. you don't want a 4 link unless you really know what you're doing.

if all you want is 4wd and the least amount of work then get an f350 front end. axle,leaves,brackets,sway bar, brake lines, driveshaft, steering. bolt it on. 2wd frames are different in some years so you might have to drill some holes.

for a better ride swap the f350 front leaves for some bronco rear leaves and reverse the shackles. you will have to lift the truck some but it will ride way better. fullsize bronco is a great resource for these swaps. just remember that 2wd one ton trucks aren't 100% the same as 1/2 ton broncos.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk

Members online