Smokin It Up

rebel_horseman

Rt. Wing Extremist
Reaction score
OK folks, the activity level on this board sucks monkey nuts. In an effort to try to change that, I have a question to start a topic of discussion.

I'm to the point that I need to kick the performace level into direct drive. I'm looking at a few different possibilities, but I'd like to get everyone's input. I'm leaning heavily towards the Edge Evo (found them on eBay for $305 incl shipping), but I"m also considering the Quadzilla Stealth, and the Juice/Attitude. My truck, as seen in my sig, has 61k miles on it, so I want something that can be removed and is undetectable should something go down. Also, I believe I have the PM rods, so that will also limit what all I can do initially. My truck has a K&N and a stright piped exhaust, and that's it. Once I bump the power, I'm going to get a 4" exhaust shortly afterwards. The clutch is the original, and hasn't been abused, by my standards.

My goal is to have something that will net me better fuel mileage, is adjustable somewhat, won't blow my engine, and will allow me to smoke (literally) the crap out of a ricer or other numb skull that deserves it. I've heard that the Edge on the 80hp level smokes good and shouldn't harm the truck any. My truck is going to be used occassionally for towing (flatbed with a tractor, gooseneck livestock trailer).

So, what do you folks reccommend? What does our sponsors offer?

Tanks

Brian [><]

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the Edge product would fit you plan nicely. I use a SCMT on my old 95 and I think it has paid for itself in fuel savings alone already (not hard to do at 2.10/gal) and I can definetly notice the power increase, on the 80 hp setting I get a nice gray haze out of the exhaust at WOT. On the 50 hp setting I tow a 26 ft TT that weighs in around 7K and I never have to worry about EGT's while towing. I know the Edge product for the newer 7.3's is a definet upgrade over what I have for a 7.3 and tuner combo. I bet youll like it.

Just out of curiosity, why did you get rid of the Dodge?

rebel_horseman

Rt. Wing Extremist
Reaction score
It had higher miles...I was at 170k when I sold it and I was starting to have to fix a lot of stuff in teh drivetrain (center carrier bearing, the rear axle was going to need to be rebuilt, clutch, etc). Plus, it had one of the #53 blocks which were more prone to cracking. I had a fellow that wanted to buy it for my payoff and I figured that was the best chance I was going to get. Other than that, I really liked it and was very impressed by it. Can't complain with over 19mpg out of a 4x4 dually and around 16 with the stock trailer I used to haul around.

Thanks for the info on the programmer. I've heard a good deal about it on TDS and many folks have no EGT problems with it. Plus, it's hard to pass up $305 incl shipping from a company off eBay.

[><]
[><]

Swany

Consiglieri
Reaction score
Don't be a wuss, if you're going to do it, do it right. Get a multi position chip from DI or TS. You didn't mention gauges either, make sure you get those even with a programmer, unless you don't really give a crap about blowing up your rig or thrashing your tranny.

If you get a programmer or a chip, the dealer can still find out, if he really wanted to by the codes. With putting a chip in there you can pull it out if you have to go to the dealer, buy you already knew that...

Strokin_A_Duramax

TS Performance Groupie
Reaction score
POwer ....Huh....

If you want power like Swany said go with a chip. The differance between a programmer and a chip is unbelivable. The chips are so much better in my opinion. I have tried and tested out many chips and programmers. We have 4 powerstrokes on the farm. Also definatly get gauges. A programmer will still produce high enough EGT's to melt you down. Trust me I've experimented with it and seen it first hand. One other thing if you value your warranty buy another computer from ford and install your chip in it. Put your stock computer on your shelf incase you have to send the truck in for warranty work. If so just change them out. Cheap insurance if you ask me. Also all the codes are stored in the computer so when you switch them all traces of the chip go with the computer. In my opinion go with the TS chip......but then I'm kind of biased....LOL .....Give me a shout if I can help out....:yell:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online